Advanced search

Random road trip to France camping questions...

(21 Posts)
Veggy Tue 21-Jul-15 21:08:06

Hey all, I'm driving down to Provence this summer and I wondered if was worth getting this tag thing for all the tolls? We drove to the Vendee last year and going through the tolls just using cash wasn't a problem - there weren't many queues. But as we are going further, maybe I get one for this year?
My other random question is about ice boxes... I see all the rave reviews about the icey tek, but I don't have the spare cash for one! Is there anything similar that anyone can recommend that costs say £50? At the moment we have a totally useless picnic box that keeps things cool for about 10minutes. And I realised we ended up buying milk, cheese, butter, ham etc etc every day which is daft. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Finally - audio books, music to entertain the kids -?
Thank you!

Asheth Wed 22-Jul-15 08:06:15

We drove around France last summer, including Provence. The only queue we had at tolls was on the Spanish border.

Last year we had a camping Fridge that plugged into the car socket but kept things fairly cool for a day or so after arrival, but it took up huge amounts ofthe space in the car. This year we have a plug in cool box we bought in The Range, but it's not been properly tested yet so no idea how effective it is!

My DC all have tablets or iPods to keep them amused. We may also get a car DVD player.

CampingClaire Wed 22-Jul-15 08:44:17

Get the toll tag. Saved us loads of q time the further south we've travelled as there are special lanes for them which generally move quickly. Just be prepared for the big bill when you get back.
Check eBay/gumtree for a plug in cool box?
2nd the DVD option. Our kids never found gazing at the countryside as interesting as we did and the journey was happier for everyone if they were giggling/singing along/engrossed in a DVD!

poocatcherchampion Wed 22-Jul-15 21:13:15

We bought a plug in cool box in France last year from decathlon I think. It was a car plug in one. We have also got an English socket to go with it now so it plugs into the ehu.

Tigresswoods Sun 26-Jul-15 21:51:23

Get the toll tag, totally worth it!

FrozenAteMyDaughter Sun 26-Jul-15 22:11:27

Would also recommend the toll tag. Saves loads of time and faffing with money. Particularly great for anyone travelling alone as of.course the tolls are on the passenger side.

hillbilly Sun 26-Jul-15 22:51:14

We have the toll tag and it's fantastic! Plug in cool box will be good if you are driving a lot - I think ours is Outwell and although we don't use it often, it works well.

Birnamwood Sun 26-Jul-15 23:02:42

I got our plug in cool box from halfords. what you have to rememberer is it's a cool box not a fridge so when you put stuff in, make sure it's cold already and also put ice packs in. We take food from England to France (not because we don't do forrin! We visit a friend who craves streaky bacon, English butter and cheddar --and bisto--) and it's still as cold after a 17hr journey as it was when I put it in. FYI - if you plan on bringing back smelly French cheese and saucisson then take zip lock bags and an air tight container - the fan from the cool box tends to waft the smells into the car...

millimat Mon 27-Jul-15 08:35:49

Another fan of in car dvd player.
We looked at the toll tag but the cost to get it was extortionate?

AuditAngel Mon 27-Jul-15 08:44:45

Depending on the age of the children, I just purchased a set of audio CD's of Roald Dahl from the ?Book People for £20.

MissWimpyDimple Mon 27-Jul-15 16:56:56

I have the waeco mobicool plug in cool box. I think it's the 30l one which has a car plug and a normal plug. Means that you can cool it right down at home first and also plug it in if you get hook up. I think it was £60

TheRobbingBastards Mon 27-Jul-15 18:27:44

Toll tag- great idea, especially as a PP mentioned the further south you go. Also perfect if you share the driving and your passenger is asleep!
Cold box- I have an IceyTek so wouldn't consider anything else. I have recently purchased the proper Aussie gel packs for it and have been really impressed with their performance. Perhaps a couple of these in your regular cool box would do the trick?
Kids- depends how old? Personally we use audio books on the main car stereo. Stops arguments if you choose and I find that it actually helps while away the journey for adults too (assuming the stories are reasonably adult friendly!)

millimat Mon 27-Jul-15 18:40:17

Where do you all get the toll tags from then?

Veggy Mon 27-Jul-15 20:42:39

Thank you everyone. Really useful! Ok tag will be ordered tonight.

ThatBloodyWoman Mon 27-Jul-15 20:47:59

Last road trip we did personal cd's for dc's and audio books from the library.

hillbilly Mon 27-Jul-15 21:49:08

Millimat go to the official sanef toll tag website. Sorry can't link iPad playing up ��

stringbean Thu 30-Jul-15 22:51:44

There's an offer for the toll tag on the Eurotunnel website at the moment which will save you the 10 Euro administration fee. Not sure how to link from tablet but Google 'Eurotunnel Sanef' and you'll find it.

Elizabeth267 Fri 31-Jul-15 10:45:31

Can you use the toll tag with a trailer please? X

stringbean Fri 31-Jul-15 20:38:28

According to the Saneftolling website you can use the tag with a trailer less than 2m. We take a baggage trailer with us and the charge is no different from a normal car.

Berthatydfil Tue 11-Aug-15 20:26:34

Get a toll tag but research which one as the different autoroute companies have their own. I think the one we have only charges the monthly fee in the month you use it plus the actual tolls.

Berthatydfil Tue 11-Aug-15 20:27:39

Also we have a caravan so a trailer would be fine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: