Talk

Advanced search

camping - electric - what can i take? microwave?

(8 Posts)
namechangeforphotos Mon 20-Jul-15 19:44:48

Site says its 10A. Can I take my microwave? I'm guessing a 3kw kettle is probably too much confused hairdryer? <priorities> grin phone chargers presumably will be ok? Electric coolbox yes?

We've camped before but not with electricity. Think I'm excited hmm

CMOTDibbler Mon 20-Jul-15 19:59:56

You can get low wattage kettles, and I have seen someone with a small microwave. Phone chargers fine, as is electric coolbox.

I was just browsing kettles as we have to have EHU for dhs CPAP, so I'm planning on making more use of it!

Milliways Mon 20-Jul-15 20:24:33

We have a Campervan and use a microwave, it even worked on a 6amp hookup in France last week. Just use 1 appliance at a time.
Low voltage kettle
Heater/fan ( we used a Dyson fan in France)
Electric cool box or camping fridge.
Phone charges are a must
Low voltage hairdryer - we got a real cheap travel one I. Argos and it is fab.
You can get low voltage TVs and Sat dishes- but that is a bit extreme for a tent. An iPad / laptop is great though with charger.
My friend uses her Haligen oven all the time.
Anything you can fit in the car really smile

usualsuspect333 Mon 20-Jul-15 20:27:15

Toaster. George foreman grill.

Fourarmsv2 Mon 20-Jul-15 21:12:13

Halogen oven & kettle = tripped electrics at most sites. Usually fine used independently.

Cheap kettles are usually lower wattage without buying special travel kettles.

We also take - electric lights, chargers and electric blankets smile

namechangeforphotos Mon 20-Jul-15 23:38:52

Yes definitely taking one of the DCs electric bedroom lamps, DS has a sort of squishy rubbery one so that will pack down nicely! Got 'lantern' style lamps as well.

Just thought, I may as well boil water in microwave, I'm taking it anyway? Saves getting another kettle. Probably takes same amount of time as low wattage kettle to boil.
My hairdryer is 2000w so as long as we're not using anything else at same time should be ok. I could download stuff onto iPad in case of rain I guess, no WiFi afaik so I was hoping to leave it at home as worried about security while we're out confused perhaps will put it in boot of the car for emergencies only. Theres evening 'entertainment' too so I am looking forward to a few days technology free still taking my phone for secret MNing wink

Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

Fourarmsv2 Tue 21-Jul-15 09:11:59

Please don't boil water in a microwave. It's potentially really dangerous.

www.truthorfiction.com/microwavewater/

namechangeforphotos Tue 21-Jul-15 10:04:39

Thank you Fourarms I have actually seen something like that happen with water, its happened to me with milk as well. I heated milk to add instant coffee and sugar, I put the coffee in too soon after taking it out of the microwave and it did 'erupt' as described in the article. It doesn't bubble like boiling water in a pan or a kettle, until you put something in it. Yeah perhaps I will just go for the kettle after all grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now