Talk

Advanced search

Which caravan for 5 of us?!

(11 Posts)
HoldMeDown Mon 13-Jul-15 22:00:50

Curious as the what make/model caravans you all have? I'm after a 6-berth(5 at a push) fixed bunks etc for me, OH and the 3 kids...
Your recommendations will be very welcome as I just can't make a decision!

millimat Tue 14-Jul-15 15:45:59

What age caravan are you looking at? We had a six berth Bailey Pegasus and it was great. We used the bottom bunk for storage as there's only 4 of us, but did at some point use all of the 6 beds and they were all great. The only downside was the bathroom as it was in the middle so not huge. Big enough but if you want to rely on your own facilities the shower was a bit of a pain as it isn't a separate cubicle.
We now have a 5 berth coachman vision. Again it's fixed bunks but this one has an end bathroom.
How old are your children? When ours were younger it was very important to me that they had an end of the caravan that could be shut off at night when they went to bed, and our Bailey did that perfectly with a proper door. Now they're older they stay up later so just have a curtain across their bunks.

HoldMeDown Tue 14-Jul-15 22:41:12

Hi thanks for replying.
We're after a fairly new(possibly brand new) one. As you say, I'd like to be able to 'shut the kids away'. At night. They are 11, 3 and 9 months.
We looked at a Pegasus the other day.
This is our ideal layout...

HoldMeDown Tue 14-Jul-15 22:42:55

Posted too soon...
But as you rightly said, the bathroom isn't ideal! I think we'll probably wait until October and go to the caravan show at the NEC and buy something there. It's quite the minefield out there! hmm

millimat Wed 15-Jul-15 22:47:29

We got ours from a caravan show. A coachman wasn't in the running but because they were all on show it was great to be able to compare them. Where in the UK are you?
Our Pegasus was that layout but with triple bunks. Great for closing them off.

millimat Wed 15-Jul-15 22:52:04

It was this one vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=131547389666&category=32633&pm=1&ds=0&t=1436997053179

millimat Wed 15-Jul-15 22:53:34

The befit of that is that your older child could stay up later then sneak to bed easily enough. Ours now is more of' one room' if you see what I mean.

inmyheadimthequeen Wed 15-Jul-15 22:54:17

Hiya I'm just off to bed (early start) but you could have a look at the Swift Fairway, bunks +1 at the back and middle bathroom but with proper shower. We're very happy with ours. Agree with going to the caravan show, it's a good opportunity to see different layouts side by side. I wouldn't take the kids if it is possible to leave them though - it's huge, exhausting and can be crowded. Fair enough if you are just there for a wander but if you are seriously thinking of buying it's a lot tougher with kids in tow. Good luck.

HoldMeDown Thu 16-Jul-15 18:25:17

I can't find a swift fairway that us more than 4 berth? Is that right?
Nooo we won't be taking the kids to that! Haha.
The link you posted for the bailey looks fab. Can't wait for October now to go to the show!
We've got a swift challenger at the mo. It's quite old(we got it a few months ago because we couldn't wait to get going!) but in great condition. I love it. We'll be going to it this weekendsmile
Really appreciate your advice, thanks xx

inmyheadimthequeen Sat 18-Jul-15 09:13:38

Sorry Holdmedown, only just noticed this - I thought I'd made a mistake but no, our van is definitely a Swift Fairway 586 and it's def a 5 berth. Meant to mention too that it's probably worth having a look at 'Practical Caravan' website and/or magazine, there's lots of good advice on there. Best of luck with the show.

RobotLover68 Mon 20-Jul-15 09:12:38

good idea to go to the caravan show - we went in October and saw everything - tbh we got a little overwhelmed with the choices at first but realised quite quickly what we wanted and didn't want - we've got an end bathroom - Bailey Rimini - it is 4 berth as we wanted more room inside - we have 4 kids so two sleep inside and 2 sleep in the awning outside

good luck - I love my new caravan and it's a good compromise for us as my dh loves camping in tents but I found it a real drag

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now