Talk

Advanced search

come and talk to me about your kitchen set up please

(16 Posts)
gymboywalton Sun 12-Jul-15 09:21:32

we are going camping for two weeks in august which is our longest ever stretch of camping
i want things to be as easy and comfortable as possible

normally we bbq/cook outside and then before bed pack everything away
it's a bit of a pain but ok if it's oly for a few day

it's going to get my goat f i have to do it for 2 weeks

i am wondering whether to get some sort of day tent to have as a kitchen set up- leave it up all the time

what do you do and how how does it work?

TiggyD Sun 12-Jul-15 10:12:55

My cooker and bits are on a tray-like table so the whole lot goes in and out in one go. Can you do that? Or maybe get a trolly of some kind?

TheRobbingBastards Sun 12-Jul-15 10:56:23

For longer trips we have always taken a gazebo/ event tent sort of thing. Mostly because we don't travel light WRT kitchen stuff and it is laborious to keep carting it in and out.
Also lovely to be able to wake up and put the kettle on without having to reassemble the kitchen beforehand smile

gymboywalton Sun 12-Jul-15 11:16:14

what kind of thing have you robbbing?

Thumbcat Sun 12-Jul-15 20:14:49

I have a three ring stove, either just on the ground or on a table, and leave it outside the tent with the lid down.

profpoopsnagle Sun 12-Jul-15 20:52:53

TBH you could get away with just a windbreak, which not only would keep your kitchen in 1 area but make it easier to cook and safer for any children to keep out of. Do you have a kitchen stand or table? However this doesn't help with the elements, so you would need to keep your kitchen stuff (plates/pans) in lidded boxes and possibly have use of a large umbrella. I also wouldn't leave any food outside.

You could also rig up a tarp - fairly cheap and portable and this would help with rain protection. Gazebos are ok but tend to be flimsy in wind so guy out as much as poss.

gymboywalton Sun 12-Jul-15 21:59:03

i am looking at this
www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-dome-p321450

i really fancy it!

Fourarmsv2 Sun 12-Jul-15 21:59:35

Our set up. We sometimes take a one ring suitcase stove, sometimes take a two ring with gas cylinder.

Always take halogen oven....

We camp with family so last holiday had a three roast carvery with three ovens in the kitchen tent!

Box on right is a fridge.

gymboywalton Sun 12-Jul-15 22:02:24

that looks great-what is your day tent?

TheRobbingBastards Mon 13-Jul-15 01:49:44

Quite similar to your link gymboy Prior to that it was a £15 wilkinson's gazebo, but that didn't hold up so well when we camped at the foot of Snowdon grin

Mum4Fergus Mon 13-Jul-15 14:12:06

I use an Ozark Trail Gazebo...fab purchase, only cost me £25 grin

gymboywalton Mon 13-Jul-15 19:21:40

hurrah! i have just bought this
www.decathlon.co.uk/camping-shelter-3m-x-3m-fresh-id_8295843.html

really pleased with it-i love that is has the mesh sides for the daytime but then the walls zip up properly for overnight/wet weather

plenty of room for cooker/cupboard etc plus table and chairs

Fourarmsv2 Wed 15-Jul-15 17:26:17

Mine is a Royal utility tent smile

SalomeD Thu 16-Jul-15 12:25:33

Quechua Base Seconds pop up for cooking in & tarp for eating under

SleepIsOverrated Thu 16-Jul-15 13:04:47

Events shelter. A folding kitchen thing with gas stove on in one corner (we have 2 wind/rain shield sides). High camp table to use as work surface, ikea boxes to store pots and pans and tinned food which slide underneath, and double as stills to sit on for potato peeling, or footstools so toddlers can reach to help.

Big bucket which all dirty stuff gets tossed into; either gets lugged to washing up area or filled with boiling water in situ.

Second table and comfy chairs - under shelter most of the time, but hauled into the sun when it exists.

Fridge in tent porch.

If no shelter, then cooker gets set up on it's stand in porch and dragged outside for use. I prefer to keep gas bottles outside the tent.

fieldfare Thu 16-Jul-15 13:17:29

We've just bought an event shelter and have our kitchen set up in there. Camping kitchen table with a 2 ring stove on one side and a hot plate grill type thing on the other. We tend to BBQ too.
Washing up bowl underneath on one side for dirty things to go into and all the clean things stacked up on the other side underneath on the shelves.
Everything else is in our campervan, try not to cook in there too much though as it's quite compact and dd likes to help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now