Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Double SIMs - vango 7.5 any good?

(14 Posts)
beckym8678 Tue 07-Jul-15 14:32:34

Well I know that there are probably dozens of SIMS threads, but my searching capabilities are failing me, keep getting threads on The Sims computer game...

I would like a double SIM, probably 7.5 cm (borrowed a 3cm one last year and it was ok, but would prefer thicker, 10cm sounds a bit bulky and may not fit in car, which is too too full of canvas already).

Am thinking of the Vango one, which is usually £70. Singles seem to be significantly cheaper (than half the double price), anyone got good technique for joining two? Or a recommendation for a cheaper double?

Thanks!

droogie Tue 07-Jul-15 20:11:53

We have two 10cm singles (easier to fit in the car and store inflated at home). I tie them together with two long strips of 3/4" ribbon. It's flat so we can't feel it and works a treat. Cost me about £2 on eBay with a choice of a trillion colours.

beckym8678 Tue 07-Jul-15 23:00:10

Thanks droogie. Am a bit tired and a bit dim though so can't quite picture it - what do you loop the ribbon through? Or do you just lie them flat and wrap all the way across?
Don't need any encouragement to buy enormous lengths of ribbon (in each of the trillion colours) may add to our camping kit whether to tie mattresses together or not...

Ps are you supposed to store inflated then..?

MissWimpyDimple Tue 07-Jul-15 23:31:26

You are meant to store them inflated ideally. It's not always practical though!

beckym8678 Wed 08-Jul-15 07:50:55

Right so can see the more practical side to two singles then. Thanks!

SalomeD Wed 08-Jul-15 09:16:20

We've got both the Vango and Multimat 7.5 doubles. I think I'd plump for another Multimat over the Vango as the Vango developed a split around the valve (the sharp plastic of the valve cut through the outer layer - I managed to repair it but it looks like the other valve is doing similarly).

I bought doubles as I hate rolling up SIMs and so this cuts down on that palaver!

Try a jersey fitted sheet to keep two singles together (a single size fitted sheet should stretch over them nice & tightly)

AnnPerkins Wed 08-Jul-15 09:30:14

We have a double and a single 7.5 Vango. They are comfy, DH loves them. Me, I would be even more comfortable if I could put another 7.5 one on top.

I can't speak for their robustness because we have only used them four or five times. The single is longer than the double, I don't know why this would be.

hillbilly Wed 08-Jul-15 12:02:49

We have the Vango 7.5cm. Bought in 2010. Love it. Super comfy and easy to roll.

beckym8678 Wed 08-Jul-15 13:53:41

Thanks for all the advice, may have bagged another loan of some mats for this trip (was cutting it a bit fine to actually buy the things) giving me several more weeks to obsess over the perfect kit before the next!

Ah poor me, 'having' to spend even longer browsing camping gear shops smile

DreadfulSpiller Wed 08-Jul-15 16:33:03

We've got 2 7.5 outwell dream catchers. Which have been great, one for us, one for 2 DDs. Surprised at how comfy they are. Only downside is they are rounded off the edges would prefer it 'square' iyswim.

autumnboys Wed 08-Jul-15 17:45:25

We have a coupling kit for our thermarests. Flat tape, two huge loops that slip over each mat and hold them together.

beckym8678 Wed 08-Jul-15 18:35:11

Quite like this idea for sheer ingenuity!
i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Two-mats-b.jpg
Though surely you'd feel the poles? (Clearly they intended to be on the underside, but still) same webpage suggested thermarest stick-on press-studs, anyone used those?

The slightly more low-tech ribbons technique probably just as effective...

droogie Wed 08-Jul-15 21:08:38

beckym - just two big loops round the pair of SIMs, tied with a bow at the side. Ours aren't very slippery but I guess you could tie a knot in the middle of they were to stop one slipping on top of the other.

Those poles look like a camping princess and the pole test. wink

Wiggletastic Fri 10-Jul-15 20:01:51

We have two Fat Airics (as recommended by MNers a few years ago - don't think they are available anymore) and just use a fitted jersey sheet to keep them together. If you are using sleeping bags then the ribbon idea would work just as well. I would like to upgrade to something a bit thicker and comfier too but concerned about space in the car.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now