Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have an Hi gear oasis 6 ??? My heart says yes but my head says outwell Montana help!!!

(11 Posts)
Dickorydockwhatthe Mon 29-Jun-15 22:54:13

I really like the oasis and it seem so early good value however I'm worried about how reliable it is. We currently have an outwell Iowa so looking to upgrade to bigger and better with a porch. I really cannot decide :-/ I'm not too keen on the green colour of the Montana as it seems dark inside the total bundle cost will be £950 compared to the hi gear £700from Go outdoors. Can anyone give advice

ChocolatePiglet Tue 30-Jun-15 18:35:36

Hi, I haven't got any advice other than have you had a look on the fb groups Under Canvas and Tent Talk?
I think quite a few members have Hi Gear tents and are really happy with them.
Also, I think you can get the 2015 Montana in grey as well as the green from other stores (Not sure whether that is just the 6p though)
Hope that may help a little!

reallyneedmoresleep Tue 30-Jun-15 20:22:48

I'm a total Outwell girl. My friends came camping in the Lake district with us in their 2 year old Hi Gear tent (6 person blue dome / tunnel one) and one of the poles split and they ended up in our tent during a storm.

Methe Tue 30-Jun-15 20:24:30

I've got a hi gear Zenobia and I'm really pleased with it smile

droogie Tue 30-Jun-15 20:30:21

We went camping last weekend with some friends who have the Oasis (we have an Outwell Whitecove).

They love their tent and you get a lot for the money but I noticed the finish wasn't quite as good as the Outwells. When I helped pack up I noticed a few frayed guys (it was its second outing) and it wasn't as easy to undo the clips on the frame.

I do think though it is worth what they paid and it was sturdy and comfortable. I guess it just comes down to your budget and what you want for your money. The Outwells are better but you pay for it. We do more weekends away and needed a smaller tent so I'm happy we went with the (budget range) Outwell.

woollyjo Tue 30-Jun-15 20:33:29

We have a Montana, it has stood up to torrential rain and strong winds so far this year (bought it new over the winter). Sturdy poles but it is big and heavy to transport, not a problem for us as we have a van but may need to be taken into consideration. We have the 6 man version, I can't put it up on my own but once the poles are up the rest can be done by one person.

NonnyMuss Tue 30-Jun-15 20:42:44

We used to have a Hi Gear Kalahari and were never really taken with it, the finish wasn't fantastic, dodgy stitching, loops missing, nothing that stopped it working though.
Got rid of it after a few uses and a broken pole in fairly strong but not gale-force winds coincidentally was not long after I fell in love with bell tents though so that might have been more of a deciding factor I'll admit

Friends have an equivalent style (mahoosive) Outwell and it's obvious that the quality is much better, little details and overall finish. They've had 5 years out of it so far, I can't imagine our Kalahari would have coped with what their tent has had chucked at it.

Saying that I don't think their Outwell would have coped with some of the Scottish camping we've done in the bell tent wink

HettyD Tue 30-Jun-15 21:33:38

Outwell all the way for me...quality is always fab and they have all these clever little pockets everywhere!!

Dickorydockwhatthe Tue 30-Jun-15 22:17:29

Eeek I really wish they weren't as expensive :-/ does anyone have any experiences with vango???

whojamaflip Tue 30-Jun-15 22:25:44

We've had a Vango Tigris 800 for the last 4 years and it's been great!

Stood up to gale force winds on a cliff top in Cornwall at Easter and we have camped in everything from snow to torrential rain.

Sadly needs replacing now but am planning one last outing with it this summer before I go shopping this winter - will def consider Vango again.

woollyjo Thu 02-Jul-15 09:17:45

We had a Vango for the last 7 years, I was happy with the quality etc. The poles started to fray in the end (and we managed to break one the first time we put it up. I think we started waterproofing it annually after about 5 years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now