Talk

Advanced search

Campsite - want somewhere really beautiful

(10 Posts)
ArthurMcAffertyhastwocats Sun 28-Jun-15 15:17:53

Looking for a campsite for a couple of nights in late August. Not really fussed about facilities though wouldn't say no to a hot shower...main requirements are no more than four hours drive from London (and less is absolutely fine!) with lovely lovely scenery. Coast, hills, whatever. But somewhere really special...any suggestions would be very gratefully received!

HettyD Mon 29-Jun-15 07:19:53

Dorset coast?? There is a site near osmington bay called 'ewe' something, a farm that is only open in August, supposed to be gorgeous...!!

hillbilly Mon 29-Jun-15 11:32:03

It's called Ewelease - I have never been but hear great things about it. Sounds like a bit too much of a festival feel for me but each to their own smile

Foxholes in Shropshire is lovely and a great area for exploring - ah sorry just noticed the 4 hr drive limit. It took us about 5hrs from London sad

You could make it to the Peak District in that time, no recommendations but lovely area.

Alfriston Camping is very nice too and very close to the coast and Seven Sisters.

lavendersun Mon 29-Jun-15 11:51:58

One of my favourite places ever is Walkers Cottage, Hay on Wye. Very simple site in a beautiful place, you can walk into Hay on Wye across fields/footpaths.

Their server seems to be down atm but no doubt a blip. Owners are lovely, stay true to their ethos, don't overcrowd the place. Fantastic shower, compost loo and one at the house. They sell eggs, homemade bread and salt/herb mixes and homemade soaps, have a very small tea shop in their garden.

Minimal facilities, fires, shower, two toilets. They used to take about 10 tents but increased it at certain times like when the festival is on, not sure if they have more in August.

Really tranquil place.

About 3.5 hours from London depending on where you are.

ArthurMcAffertyhastwocats Mon 29-Jun-15 18:32:15

Thank you. Love the Seven Sisters so that's a definite possibility. And Hay would also be a good option given the bookshops. Will check them both out. Personally, I'm happy in a field just outside the M25, but if I'm going to persuade DP he's a camper at heart I'm going to have to try a bit harder!

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Mon 29-Jun-15 18:53:37

The Peak District is really hard to beat for beautiful scenery.

OnlyTheDepthVaries Mon 29-Jun-15 19:21:38

The caravan club lets tents into its Trewethett Farm site on the North Cornwall coast (betwixt Tintagel and Boscastle). Right on the cliff path - stunning sea and craggy cliff views. Wonderful (and decent shower blocks)

hz Tue 30-Jun-15 11:35:31

For camping in amazing woodland try Inwood (near Basingstoke) may not sound all that appealing but it is tremendous. Huge woodland and pitches scattered here and there plus a few meadows if you prefer to be out in the open. Everyone I have ever taken, or suggested they go, has loved it. Only thing is I would suggest go for Home Field for proper toilets if you have a nervous first time camper - other areas have long drops. There are lots of really lovely campsites in the South East - I wrote a post on my camping blog about campsites in Kent and Suusex that may be useful for you here You might find others of interest on the map also on the blog. Good luck with converting your DP!

FrozenAteMyDaughter Tue 30-Jun-15 11:44:21

Apparently Kingsdown International (http://www.kingsdowncamping.co.uk/) has amazing sea views. it is in Kent so well within a couple of hours of London. I have not been yet but have been trying to find a weekend to try it out for ages. It gets good reviews.

FrozenAteMyDaughter Tue 30-Jun-15 11:44:53

I'll try that link again: www.kingsdowncamping.co.uk/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now