Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for camping near York

(11 Posts)
flier Sun 28-Jun-15 11:22:23

Hi, I'm looking for some recommendations for a campsite near to York. Wanted to stay away from Scarborough area as loads we want to do nearer to York itself, but I can't see any sites that I think are too well suited to children near to York. Though I'd come onto trusty mumsnet to see if I'm missing something.

lavendersun Sun 28-Jun-15 18:27:42

This is about 30 mins from York

www.husthwaitegate.co.uk

Really nice, quiet site. Depends on what you want really, we opt for minimal facilities, small places.

Another one that we have often looked at but never stayed at is the Hideaway at Baxby Manor which looks lovely (but is not cheap at £27 a night).

We stay in this area to visit friends/family en route to the North if we can spare an extra night unless the weather is grim when we make a detour to my parent's house.

You can camp at Castle Howard too although it looks a bit too "organised" for us.

Do a search on UK campsite with York as your town selecting the things you want in a site, you will find loads.

flier Sun 28-Jun-15 20:56:11

lavendersun, thanks, I'll take a look.

profpoopsnagle Sun 28-Jun-15 22:18:20

I've stayed at Baxby and I like it- really good for travelling into York as you can use the park and ride just down the road. I agree it's not the cheapest but lovely facilities, space and a good vibe.

Heleng1982 Sun 28-Jun-15 22:52:21

foxhill I think it's called, about 10 mins from York. it's our fave always has been. even though we are only 10 mins away from home it's still brill grin

TooManyDicksOnTheDancefloor Sun 28-Jun-15 23:25:31

[http://www.homefarmyork.co.uk]
Bus into York, on a farm, near the marina, cheap, lovely!

TooManyDicksOnTheDancefloor Sun 28-Jun-15 23:25:53

www.homefarmyork.co.uk

larsandtherealgirl Mon 29-Jun-15 06:27:50

We recently stayed at yorkmeadowscaravanpark.com near to Sheriff Hutton (sorry, can't do a link) and would highly recommend it. There's a great children's play area right next to the camping pitches. It's really clean and friendly and close to York.

Mildpanic Mon 29-Jun-15 07:00:26

Jolly days near Stamford Bridge is well thought of, more glamping than camping though.
There is a very popular campsite at Acaster Malbis, by The Ship Inn which is good. On the river, you can get a river taxi into York from there.
Sorry, can't do links as rushing to get organised.

droogie Mon 29-Jun-15 20:34:02

We stayed here nurseriescaravanpark.com

At half term. It only opened last summer. Great facilities, really friendly and play area/games room/football field for the kids. Took us 15mins to drive to the National Railway Museum (the purpose of our trip). We'll definitely go back next year when we visit the trains again.

flier Tue 30-Jun-15 17:43:03

Just a quick thankyou, I'll take a look at all of these. Mumsnet to the rescue again :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now