Talk

Advanced search

'Camping' in a Defender Explorer

(9 Posts)
Chippychop Sun 21-Jun-15 22:58:00

Has anyone done it? Any tips? DH and 2 DC heading to Scotland in aug so I'd appreciate your thoughts

CampingClaire Thu 25-Jun-15 10:34:45

Are you talking about a Defender with a roof tent? If so, I'm probably your girl!

Chippychop Thu 25-Jun-15 22:41:17

Hi thanks for responding, yes i am talking about that. Any top tips, types of places to stay, things to take with us.. Any advice much appreciated!

CampingClaire Fri 26-Jun-15 09:53:08

Do you plan to wild camp? West coast most beautiful but beware of the midges but hubby maintains the midges don't bother him up in the roof tent. It's really him and DD that use ours. Are you hiring it from Scotland Overland? If so they offer the hire of a Frontier Stove. If take that for evenings outside and great to cook on. How far do you plan to travel and I'll give you ideas in different areas. West is def best though...either north or South!

Chippychop Fri 26-Jun-15 11:44:12

Scotland overland had no availability so we've gone with a company in Wigan. We're planning on the first night in Windermere as we'll have done enough trAvelling by then , then it's straight up the west coast. Ideally is like to relive my youth and visit applecross Plockton, mallaig. Also we want to do the Jacobite rail journey from fort William via arisaig . We need to be back in Wigan a week later at 5pm. We def want to wild camp but will need a shower somewhere along the way. My dc are 5 and. 9. I was planning on taking "luxuries' such as duvets, bat ball, but what else... Years ago I stayed in eillin doran (sp!) nr the five sisters and all the locals started a jamming session in the pub it was amazing I want to recapture and have a fun care free holiday. Oh amd I've bought smidge for the midgets as recommend on here grin

momb Fri 26-Jun-15 11:48:25

No experience of roof tents I'm afraid but west coast Scotland in August? Sounds amazing but pack lots of midge repellent. really, lots.

CampingClaire Fri 26-Jun-15 20:32:22

Had too much wine now to pass on knowledge but will pass on tips tomorrow afternoon! Hic!! ����

Chippychop Fri 26-Jun-15 21:53:40

Ha ha! Ching Ching! In awe you have a defender! DH well jel x

CampingClaire Sat 27-Jun-15 15:14:01

Right…wine has worn off!!
If heading that way then Arisaig is a must…Invercaimbe our fav as on its own little tidal bay so super safe for the kids. It is small though but she may be able to squeeze you in as you'll be able to park up anywhere really but get the number and call in advance. The whole stretch of coast is dotted with sites so somewhere will fit you in if they're too full.
If heading out towards Five Sisters you have to do the little ferry from Glenelg over to Skye and there is a little site right next to the ferry spot. Check out the ferry on YouTube. Bound to see seals when on it. Even if you just go over…stay an hour or so and picnic then head back again. Also loads of wild goats around there…I still smile when I see them heading down the road like something from Billy Goats Gruff.
The road from Spean Bridge towards Five Sisters has various off-shoots that basically lead off towards the coast…not highly inhabited so bound to be good wild camping spots along there. It's on our list for the summer as it's an area hubby has only seen from the sea and I've always been intrigued by it so you may come across us!!
You'll pass WolfTrax at Laggan after you've turned off the A9 towards Spean Bridge. Guess they'll hire mountain bikes too if the kids fancy that. The area along from there is beautiful - where Monarch of the Glen was filmed but the estate (Ardverickie) will be busy in August getting ready for the shooting season so the opportunity to wild camp there will be limited.
Things to take...
Jar of Nutella for quick and hassle free hot chocolate for the kids. One large spoonful into warm milk in their own mug - much easier to clean than a pot that's heated choc powder in!
What about binoculars and a wildlife book? Bucket and spade a necessity if heading to Arisaig. Great chippy in Mallaig.
Any more questions just fire them back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now