Talk

Advanced search

Camping on the coast in France

(13 Posts)
getmeontheslopes Tue 16-Jun-15 23:06:27

Hi there

We are a family of 4 & 5 looking at the first week of the summer holidays, 25th July, we will be tenting it and the other has a camper.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a coastal camp site in somewhere like Vendee?

Many thanks all

Girlwhowearsglasses Tue 16-Jun-15 23:10:47

St Valery Sur Somme is lovely - a few sites around there - one with a chateau I recall. Lovely seaside town with a steam train, beach, fresh fish and mediaeval old town

L0gLady Tue 16-Jun-15 23:13:16

Try Le Porge Ocean or around Andernos les Bains, both 30k from Bordeaux

PartyFops Wed 17-Jun-15 09:11:16

Carnac is lovely.

MrsAukerman Wed 17-Jun-15 09:13:59

Just got back from Le Treport. Stayed at les boucanniers campsite. Campsite excellent and very reasonable. Town average but easy to go out for the day to Dieppe or further. 5 nights in a tent cost €85.

MrsAukerman Wed 17-Jun-15 09:14:51

www.camping-municipal.org

IAmAPaleontologist Wed 17-Jun-15 09:15:08

i have a childhood spent around maubuisson because my mum is from bordeaux.lots of options there of sites right by the ocean at carcan plage, sites in the pine forest or in maubuisson itself which is by a huge lake with a sandy beach and loads of water sports. easy cycle from there to the ocean. i like staying around there as have the market, supermarket etc and the lake can be nice and shaded and you can escape the salty sea air a bit but still cycle or drive easily to the ocean.

JillBYeats Wed 17-Jun-15 09:20:54

I absolutely LOVED this one. We stayed in campsites (in a tent) all along the coast as far as Biarritz and this was my favourite. It had a large amount of tents and campers as opposed to being heavily dominated by mobiles and I just thought it had a nice atmosphere. It opens directly onto a wild beach but there were clamer beaches a bike ride away. There were pools with chutes, great pizza, goos supermarket and bike hire on site plus a cycle path goes right past the gate.

AlfAlf Wed 17-Jun-15 09:21:42

La Garangeoire is lovely. It's not cheap, but has amazing facilities (stables, a lake for boating, excellent restaurant - as well as great pool/playground/kids club etc).

JillBYeats Wed 17-Jun-15 09:21:54

Calmer rather than "clamer" beaches!

helensteph Wed 17-Jun-15 10:07:47

If you're looking at Vendee our favourite is Le Clarys Plage but there are loads of other great campsites in France that can be found by the coast. Best regions in my opinion are Brittany, Vendee, and the south west coast.

FrozenAteMyDaughter Wed 17-Jun-15 10:38:02

We loved this one: www.camping-cote-dargent.co.uk/, at Hourtin Plage. Short walk to the beach and some nice beach bars/restaurants. You have to get a short ferry from Royan there IIRC, unless you are coming from the south I guess.

IAmAPaleontologist Wed 17-Jun-15 20:02:19

That looks lovely Frozen. This isthe other side of the lake where I spent summers growing up! We'd spend out mornings doing watersports on the lake then cycle over to the ocean in the afternoon. The pic on the website shows it all quite well, lake on the right, you can see the little town of Maubuisson and then the ocean on the left. Hourtin is at the end of the lake pretty much directly over from Maubuisson. Hourtin was gernerally considered ot be a fair bit posher grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now