Talk

Advanced search

Better weather approaching...

(25 Posts)
Blu Mon 15-Jun-15 19:50:10

So I have booked for next weekend.

Anyone else?

lavendersun Mon 15-Jun-15 19:56:24

Yes, booked a while ago though so not weather dependent - we always camp at the solstice, even on a school night! Mad as ever here, we get up early and eat croissants in the car on the way to school smile.

Blu Mon 15-Jun-15 20:20:17

Fabulous!
Yes, it was the solstice that pushed me into a last minute booking. The longest day of the year and I have not yet had a warm evening sitting out. Fingers crossed.

Where are you going, Lavendersun?

lavendersun Mon 15-Jun-15 21:36:51

Our favourite local place for 2015 - Wardley Hill. 45 mins from school so we need to be in the car by 8am!

Taking the tipi so we don't need to get up until 7:30 as the tent is down and car packed in 15 mins and we won't be taking much for a couple of nights.

I will make coffee and hot chocolate in travel mugs once we are up and feast in the car get the car cleaned when we get home.

We have always camped on the solstice, well since I left London in 2004 anyway.

Blu Tue 16-Jun-15 08:07:48

It looks lovely Lavendersun - I was thinking of you last night as I perused another Norfolk site that allows fires - Dreamy Hollow in Stanhoe, over the other side of Wells.

I just ran the idea of an early dash to school from the campsite on Monday morning past DC and was met with a horrified 'no!' but then we have a longer, traffic-gamble of a trip and take far longer than you to pack up. 15 mins! :impressed:

Callmecordelia Tue 16-Jun-15 08:24:42

We were going to go midweek, ie tomorrow, but DH has now got a free jolly to the races Wednesday night/all day Thursday. Luckily I hadn't booked.

He's saying we'll just go at the weekend. Hmmmm. Where's going to have space and be a good experience in Kent this weekend? Don't want to go too far....

lavendersun Tue 16-Jun-15 09:35:30

Haven't heard of that one Blu, someone told me about Baconsthorpe the other week which looks ok, very close to home.

I love a weekend camp, means we are not looking jobs at home, old house and land - jobs are endless.

I will report back on how Monday morning goes!

lavendersun Tue 16-Jun-15 09:35:44

not doing jobs at home!

hillbilly Tue 16-Jun-15 11:32:31

Would love to up sticks and go this weekend but commitments are keeping us at home until first weekend of July when we are going to west country.

Then not long until summer hols and France here we come grin

Love the idea of camping for Solstice.

lavendersun Tue 16-Jun-15 11:46:14

I have booked so many weekends it is easier to say when we are not camping grin, I am such a big kid, we are only at home for four weekends between now and the 19th September. Lots of fun, but not productive at all (other than in the fun stakes)

We did this as children though, Dad used to drive us up to Scotland (from North Yorkshire) for 4/5 weeks every summer and he would then leave us and go to work as necessary. We would move around when he came back.

hz Tue 16-Jun-15 19:28:43

Have had this weekend booked for a group camp for my birthday since April so feeling rather pleased that it's looking good at the moment! Very rarely book anything in advance, prefer to just go if there is a nice weekend.

hz Wed 17-Jun-15 20:02:55

Damn now looks like rain on Saturday.

Blu Wed 17-Jun-15 20:18:10

angry

THIS WEATHER!!!!

lavendersun Wed 17-Jun-15 20:58:06

Never mind Campers, we will endure it grin, our forecast is better now than it was on Monday - warmer with just a bit of rain early evening - can see me having to dry the tent on Monday anyway as we are leaving so early.

We live in a woodland, by the time the canvas is dry there is usually bird poo on it so I have to wash it off, leave it to dry again and go round in circles, sometimes for days. I hate putting the tent up again for that reason alone - and the fact that my 'lawn' is a mass of molehills right now. I quite like moles !

hz Fri 19-Jun-15 09:27:36

Wow, rain and thunderstorms now predicted for where we are going on Saturday. I may cry.

lavendersun Fri 19-Jun-15 09:33:50

Still not too bad in Norfolk although rain very early on Monday morning so drying the tent will be on the cards.

Fingers crossed hz, they are often slightly wrong.

lavendersun Fri 19-Jun-15 17:52:07

It is cold here tonight, I am going to light my fire at home sad. Thermals all round tomorrow I think.

hz Mon 22-Jun-15 10:12:11

Well, that was much better than expected. Bit of drizzle Saturday morning, short burst of rain around lunch time but otherwise rather nice. Much fun had by all. :-)

lavendersun Mon 22-Jun-15 10:17:13

Great to hear hz. We had great weather too - we sat outside until almost midnight last night with a fire .... and managed to get to school on time this morning despite DD still being awake (in bed though) at 10:30.

I have only been home for 30 mins, car unpacked, coffee then shower before I start work for the day.

hz Mon 22-Jun-15 11:42:45

Now that I have never tried Lavender! What time did you have to get up?

poocatcherchampion Mon 22-Jun-15 11:45:03

OK does anyone know what it is going to be like this weekend. I'm excited about our upcoming trip... Going middle midlands - to a fab looking campsite.

lavendersun Mon 22-Jun-15 11:56:57

Well hz, DH managed to join us which was lovely (working away) and we got up at 5:30, we get up at 5am anyway at home. Had coffee and a rare bacon roll, we usually have porridge with a chopped apple or some fruit in it when camping.

He left at 7 for a very long drive, poor man. DD got up at 6:45, croissants and smoothies, before and in the car for her and we left at 7:45 We were at school at 8:55, just after the bell (by seconds). Only 40 miles but grim traffic.

It was really lovely though. Three tents in 6 acres, a wooded glade and a fire.

Blu Mon 22-Jun-15 12:43:57

Sounds lovely, Lavender.

We had two lovely long evenings , Fri and Sat, thankfully the terrible burst of heavy rain on Saturday teatime did not completely extinguish the fire we had so carefully lit and nurtured ready to be just the right bed-of-embers for cooking that evening , and we were able to lay the wet logs round the fire and dry and warm them a bit so that we could build it up again after we had cooked.

And a damp morning cleared up and was warm so that the tents were nice and dry for the pack up.

lavendersun Mon 22-Jun-15 12:53:35

That sounds lovely too Blu - apart from the heavy shower bit. A dry pack up is fab though.

Our tent was 95% dry this morning at 7:30, just the green bits at the bottom that are slightly damp and the groundsheet was wet ... I hung the floor on my rotary dryer when I got back and it is wetter than ever.

Should be fine in an hour or two but my conservatory looks like this ....

hz Mon 22-Jun-15 14:30:16

Wow. That is pretty hardcore Lavender, lovely though to get that extra time. We had two clear nights with fires past midnight and star watching to boot. Was so warm on Sunday I got a bit burnt. Whoops. Never trust the weathermen. About time summer kicked into action!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now