Talk

Advanced search

Camping in the Netherlands / Holland

(4 Posts)
batgirl22 Sun 14-Jun-15 20:40:49

Hi,
We're thinking about going camping in the Holland this August with our 6 and 7 year olds. Getting the ferry from Harwich and ideally not driving too far the other side. Any recommendations for campsites?
I'm also a bit anxious about mosquitoes - have been munched badly in the past. Are they likely to be a problem there in August?!
Thanks,
Susan

Thumbcat Sun 14-Jun-15 21:53:15

Duinrell. Your kids will love it.

Sobek Sun 14-Jun-15 22:04:03

Duinrell would be ideal with children that age (about half an hour from Hoek van Holland). My DCs absolutely loved going there when they were little and want to go back now they are teens!

If you wanted something a bit quieter, I can recommend Camping Op Hoop van Zegen. It's only an hour's drive from the port and not far from a lovely sandy beach. If you want to go into Amsterdam, it is about a half hour drive to the park and ride. The site is pretty basic in that there is no swimming pool and only a small play area, but the facilities are spotless and it is very reasonably priced (family price is 25.75 euros pn for tent, car, ehu, 2 adults and 2 kids)

We've never had any problems with mosquitoes in Holland in August, even Dd who gets bitten by absolutely everything!

badger21 Mon 15-Jun-15 23:19:00

We loved Amstelkade last summer - quite a small site but we booked two pitches in advance and had a nice secluded spot for our two families. No cars on the site - lots of pedal trucks for kids and carts for moving luggage. Even a pirate ship to play on in a channel - but ours needed supervision! Small animal farm where kids can get in amongst the goats, hens, ducks, rabbits, guinea pigs etc. den building area and swimming in the river just outside site. Not too far from trips into Amsterdam, Utrecht, Gouda etc. our kids, 7 and 4 then named it a place they are desperate to return to. Good cafe for adults too.
Also stayed on Texel, and at Camping de Roos near Ommen - both also brilliant, but probably a bit far from the ferry for you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now