Talk

Advanced search

Talk me through a Cadac

(14 Posts)
HexBramble Sat 13-Jun-15 16:04:51

Am toying with the idea of buying one for this year.
We are doing lots of overnight and two night stops this year in France on our way to Provence. I quite fancy ditching my 2 ring burner and grill kitchen in favour of a single burner and Cadac.

Can Cadac owners advise me please?

profpoopsnagle Sat 13-Jun-15 16:08:23

I will not talk you through something you don't need.

You need a Cobb grin

But sadly Cadacs are more practical for France.

JugglingLife Sat 13-Jun-15 16:39:57

Cadacs are lovely. We use the BBQ lid for the obvious and then the paella pan for literally everything else from full English breakfast through to steak and veg. They are great.

HexBramble Sat 13-Jun-15 18:38:53

So many types of Cadac to choose though. Where do I start?

poorbuthappy Sat 13-Jun-15 22:03:16

We have the safari.
We are 5. And ok the kids are still only 10 and 6 (twins) but it will suit us for a few more years.
It's 1 of the best things we've bought. grin

Kez100 Sat 13-Jun-15 22:03:31

We chose based on size to carry in our van. We wanted a cobb too originally

HexBramble Sun 14-Jun-15 16:35:43

Kez and happy, what do you cook ok it?

Kahlua4me Sun 14-Jun-15 22:09:31

We have the safari too. I use the paella pan and BBQ lid as wok for everything.

We tend to cook full breakfast, stir fries, fish with potatoes and all work well.

There are four of us and the safari is big enough.

ChippyMinton Sun 14-Jun-15 22:15:12

I've used both the Carri and the Safari. Safari is probably sufficient foe 4, but I prefer Carri for its height and bigger surface area.

OnlyHereForTheCamping Mon 15-Jun-15 17:36:45

We are going for complete heresy and bringing cadac and induction hob to france. I am on holiday and the cadac is dh's toy so he does nearly all the cooking. They are great for bbq type stuff and slow cooking, not great when used for plain old cooking, gas burners are faster

HexBramble Mon 15-Jun-15 18:53:47

Yes, am pretty convinced by the Cadac - just not sure whether to go for the Cadac safari which is more a table top stove - am I right?
Am tempted to take my single ring gas burner too, for kettle and rice/pasta.

MissWimpyDimple Mon 15-Jun-15 21:33:20

Can I ask a question? I am really interested in the safari chef but are there two versions? There seems to be one that has a small canister screwed straight into the base and another with a hose, regulator and larger bottle. Are they the same?

bedhaven Mon 15-Jun-15 22:38:12

We've got the safari, I love it (and it fits in the car!). We have the low pressure gas (choice of sizes and makes of gas bottle, needs a regulator) you can get a ?high pressure gas (push on small canister) which makes it more portable. You can also get a converter for a low pressure ones to allow use of the small canister, the actual cooker is the same. The griddle is a bugger to clean, fairy power spray gets it clean easily but not terribly Eco. Not sure I'd recommend the pizza stone as always burn it but that might just be my method?

MissWimpyDimple Mon 15-Jun-15 23:14:29

Great thank you! So looks like I need the high pressure version. (Space is a massive issue so there is no way I can cart a large gas bottle about as well).
Do think it looks as though I would still need a one ring burner to actually achieve a meal though. So I'll have to think it through...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now