Talk

Advanced search

I've avoided it for 34 years but the time has come!

(19 Posts)
MrsTatum1980 Tue 09-Jun-15 16:58:29

So I have successfully avoided any form of camping for my 34 years of life but now with limited funds and two children, I have been persuaded to erect myself a tent and be at one with nature (and hopefully electricity points/ hot running water etc)
So my questions are:
1) can anyone recommend a reasonably priced (cheap!) tent for 2 Adults and 2 children (one will be in a travel cot!) I'm thinking 6man tent?
2) what minimum other essentials do I need? ( I've never done this before imagine making a list for a 3 year old, please keep it simple.)
3) first time camping will be at Jamie Oliver's Feastival if anyone has any specific tips for that?
Thank you for any pointers or advice

ifgrandmahadawilly Tue 09-Jun-15 17:06:47

Earplugs.
Wet wipes
Brush
Water bottle
toothbrush
Carrier bags (good for separating washing / dirty wipes etc)
Waterproof shoes, preferably something easy to slip on if you need to nip for a wee at night.
Sleeping bag
Warm tops / blankets - you can get chilly being outdoors for a long time.
torch
hand mirror
tissues / loo roll

MrsTatum1980 Tue 09-Jun-15 17:09:40

Thank you! I'm currently cursing my bladder as the 3 treks to the toilet a night may tip me over the edge!
Great list to get me started planning.

headlesslambrini Tue 09-Jun-15 17:13:33

Decent cool box
Good beds

PotteringAlong Tue 09-Jun-15 17:52:59

we have this tent and camp with our 3 year old and 9 month old in it

MrsTatum1980 Tue 09-Jun-15 18:50:05

Looks plenty roomy enough, is it easy to put up?
As I'm still on maternity currently with no pay so it's a little more than I wanted to pay (I'm worried it'll get used once and live in the shed) but once I get an idea of what names/brands are recommended I can do some searching for the best price or look on eBay.

I have a pee pot and a pee mat in the tent, I'm not traipsing across muddy dark fields at 2am in the morning. I'm 39, have 2 children and used to play rugby so crouching over a plastic pot at 2am in the morning doesn't even make the top 20 of undignified things I have done in my life. The key I have found to camping is to lower your standards.

ifgrandmahadawilly Tue 09-Jun-15 19:36:09

Fairplay.

TheFutureSupremeRulersMum Tue 09-Jun-15 20:57:44

I second the Vango. We have one and it's brilliant. Travel cot fitted really nicely in it. I'd suggest an inflatable bed for you and we always take our own duvet and pillows rather than sleeping bags. Collapsable bucket with lid and nappy in it for night time wees. Headtorches are brilliant. You need very little kit really and the car can get very full of stuff.

grannycake Tue 09-Jun-15 21:19:21

Decent chair for you to sit in.

MrsTatum1980 Tue 09-Jun-15 22:25:14

Haha I'm certainly not too proud to pee in a bucket if it saves some 3am traipsing. I was thinking about investing in airbeds and then just duvets instead of sleeping bags, seems comfier and more homely. I massively over pack so I'm pleased the list isnt actually huge, I've added dry shampoo to it though!!!

poocatcherchampion Tue 09-Jun-15 22:26:53

Not air beds you need self inflating mats. Airbeds suck cold air into their airy space..

LMGTFY Tue 09-Jun-15 22:34:02

Don't you know anyone you can borrow a tent off to try it out? If you go with the airbed option our some blankets under you, even in summer it gets very cool at night and the air in the bed will cool too.

MrsTatum1980 Tue 09-Jun-15 22:52:26

The only people we know with tents are couples so theirs are on the small side unfortunately, it would be a much better option to borrow one as at the moment I'm imagining glorious summer weather and popping away at weekends but once the reality of a waterlogged field hits, it could be a one off!

TheVeryThing Wed 10-Jun-15 12:25:56

We are in a similar situation and planning to get this tent at the end of the month. It gets pretty good reviews online, not just on the halfords site but on the ukcamping site too.
I've done a lot of research and it's the best we can afford, we are in Ireland though so you may have more options in the UK.

FrozenAteMyDaughter Wed 10-Jun-15 14:55:37

If you live anywhere near a Decathlon or Go Outdoors I would suggest you visit one and have a stroll through the tents they have pitched. At this time of year they usually have them all up. At Decathlon something like this: www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-52-family-tent-5-man-id_8330635.html might suit you. Decathlon's tents are usually pretty good quality and stand up to the weather well.

In addition to what is above, for a festival you will need:

- camping chairs or a picnic rug at least - we find these handy as you can use them at your tent as well as in the festival itself and they are a lot more comfortable if you are sitting for ages on the ground: www.amazon.co.uk/Highlander-Outdoor-Seat-Blue/dp/B002WUJC5U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433944376&sr=8-1&keywords=highlander+chairs;

- a gas cooker of some sort if you plan to at least boil a kettle - something like this is good: www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/camping-caravanning/camping-equipment/halfords-portable-gas-stove

- coolbox/coolbag for keeping milk and wine cold:

- wellies, waterproofs, suncream and a sunhat;

- decent first aid kit;

- water bottle - a big one for your tent and a small one for you to take to bed to rehydrate and to carry round the festival;

- head torches - they look a bit uncool but are brilliant as they leave your hands free for other things - handy in the loos.

ZuleikaJambiere Tue 04-Aug-15 18:29:07

I've just found this thread and it could be about me (except I am 2 years older than you and my DCs are both 2 years older than yours), there are some great tips, thank you everyone.

I've been looking at this pop-up tent - has anyone used it, or similar? The pop up appealed, given neither DH nor I have ever put a tent up.

See you at Feastival OP!

HarrietSchulenberg Tue 04-Aug-15 18:44:39

Zuleiki I've been looking at that tennt to replace our 4 man big tunnel tent, but it's only a single skin so you might find condensation a problem.

I've got my eye on a Quechua pop up 4 sleeper for only a tiny bit more as that has an inner so will be warmer and less "drippy". Decathlon sell them, if there's one near you.

ZuleikaJambiere Tue 04-Aug-15 20:00:10

We don't have a decathlon, but will try to hunt for one online, thanks, I hadn't even thought of that issue.

Apologies for hijacking the thread OP, how is your tent etc hunting going?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now