Talk

Advanced search

How to put up a chandelier in a bell tent

(16 Posts)
attheendoftheday Wed 03-Jun-15 23:14:03

Warning - thread may not be to the taste of utilitarian campers who don't like bunting!

So, I've made the plunge and bought a long-desired bell tent and stove. I now have the important shopping task of clamping it up to my desired level.

To achieve this, I would like a chandelier (I will use battery tea lights for safety). My question is, how do I put one up? I can see the tents on bell tent.co.uk (where I've been eyeing chandeliers) have a hooky bit and the top of the pole, but I don't think the soulpad tents (which is what I've ordered) do.

Any thoughts?

I am also willing to take recommendations about further glampy bits I may need. Thus far I have bunting, fairy lights, hammam towels and a fire bowl, but I'm sure there must be more?

attheendoftheday Wed 03-Jun-15 23:14:52

Clamping = glamping obviously.

expatinscotland Wed 03-Jun-15 23:18:36

What are hammam towels? We have microfibre ones they are excellent.

TiggyD Thu 04-Jun-15 07:48:07

We really need a glamping section.

SalomeD Thu 04-Jun-15 07:53:18

I have a Soulpad and there is a bit near the top of the pole from which you can hang beautiful things!

SalomeD Thu 04-Jun-15 07:56:15

Cable ties are also useful to have to hand.

Then of course, lots of rugs & cushions!

There's a lady who makes lovely creamy felty carpets for bells - much nicer to have a carpet underfoot and these fold down a lot smaller than the coir mats.

attheendoftheday Thu 04-Jun-15 13:34:17

Thanks Salome! Good news to know that there's a hooky bit I can use.

Hammam towels are sort of thin towels, a bit like microfibre but come in lovely colours. Can get them on eBay.

Tiggy, I agree!

Tell me more of the felty carpets, where would I get such a thing?

Fooshufflewickbannanapants Thu 04-Jun-15 14:56:04

Don't forget to thread the chandelier through the pole before you put it up, then use ring thing to hang it on.

I have!

attheendoftheday Thu 04-Jun-15 22:56:21

Good advice, thanks!

rockybalboa Thu 04-Jun-15 23:09:35

Are the hamman towels good? Are you taking them for use after showering or for arranging around the tent to make it look pretty and souk like?!

attheendoftheday Fri 05-Jun-15 06:21:35

They work ok as towels, but have a dual function in being draped around to look pretty!

SalomeD Fri 05-Jun-15 09:48:36

Harriet Green on FB's Bell Tent Bazaar page is making the carpets. She also posts regularly on the FB Bell Tent Campers (any brand) page. You can contact her via:

chameleonpaints@hotmail.com

attheendoftheday Sat 06-Jun-15 00:02:53

Thank you! The carpets look lovely and those fb groups sound like ones I really need to join!

hazeyjane Sat 06-Jun-15 08:17:07

Our soulpad has a hooky thing at the top of the pole, and you just remember to put the chandelier on before putting up the pole!

We use the microfibre towels too, they are brilliant.

flashheartscanoe Thu 11-Jun-15 19:11:12

Just try not to get too excited and have too much red wine and decide to go in to the tent and 'adjust' the chandelier and drop it on the ground and break the glass cups and then throw water on the flames so covering the sleeping children in water and broken glass... Because who would do that? blush

attheendoftheday Thu 11-Jun-15 19:28:57

I cannot promise not to get too excited, the tent hasn't arrived yet and I am already very excited. The stove arrived yesterday and I've 'had' to put it up 3 times already to show various people how beautifully it folds.

I will try not to throw broken glass and water on to the children as it would wake them and inhibit me from drinking more wine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now