Talk

Advanced search

Anyone share their camping capsule wardrobe ? ( including footwear )

(49 Posts)
gingeroots Sun 31-May-15 09:49:49

I'm overweight ,short ,burn in the sun .

I need stuff to take me through a day that starts and ends in freezing temperatures ( exposed Devon campsite ) and heats up in the middle .

And I'd like not to have keep changing .

And frankly I'm starting to fancy sleeping in my clothes .

Any top tips ?

lavendersun Sun 31-May-15 11:26:13

I wear walking trousers - they dry quickly if you get wet. I have lined and non lined versions, lined with thermals underneath = very very hot. I wear t shirts and fleeces and vests/long sleeved shirts if sunny (I am very pale and burn easily).

I often start with a clean set of thermals in the morning and take them off before we go out for the day, putting them back on at night time, sometimes sleep in them if it is freezing but we are usually hot at night and if I am not DH is and I steal his warmth.

So walking trousers, long sleeved shirts, vest tops, fleeces, thermals, fleece hat, walking socks and boots. Not glamorous but practical. Waterproof coat and trousers. Windproof long sleeve tops (walking tops).

A normal set of clothes or two for a week just in case I need to be smarter.

BikeRunSki Sun 31-May-15 11:28:36

I agree with lavender.

gingeroots Sun 31-May-15 12:23:41

lavender -thanks ,I can see how that would work .

trip to Decathalon I think .

lavendersun Sun 31-May-15 17:57:49

Not sure what Decathlon have ginger, I have got three pairs of really good trousers from Rohan but when I wanted a couple of extra pairs to extend my camping clothes (we don't wash clothes unless on a two week trip) I bought Craghoppers Kiwi Pro Stretch, from Amazon, for 1/3 of the price of the Rohan trousers and if I am honest I prefer the fit but find them less breathable.

The Craghoppers are odd size wise though, it took two returns to get the right size. Kiwi Pro are not as nice as Kiwi Pro stretch imo.

BikeRunSki Sun 31-May-15 19:30:17

Have you got a branch of Go Outdoors nearby ginger? That'd be worth a nose. Or if you are feeling flush, Google "Patagonia".

lavendersun Sun 31-May-15 19:45:41

We have lots of Patagonia BikeRunSki fleeces/tops and coats. It was very cheap when we lived in the US and they used to have really good sales - we had a US postal address so were able to buy here too, sadly no more.

DH is so 'posh' he still buys it here - I don't I am too tight but he is tall and the legs and sleeves work for him so fair enough. It used to be so cheap there that he has been wearing not much else since university - good old days.

I did buy a Patagonia rain coat from Amazon recently - for £30!

Their sizing is not generous though imo so if you are not slim ish I don't think their cut would be much good.

howabout Sun 31-May-15 20:00:05

Go outdoors had Cragghoppers for £15 last week. Highly recommend. Zip off legs are good if the sun comes out. My girl scout says pack plenty of socks.

TheoriginalLEM Sun 31-May-15 20:15:26

oh bloody hell - ive bought a tent, ive bought sleeping bags. im still to buy air beds, a cooker thing, table and chairs and now i have to buy new clothes????

what is a capsule wardrobe? ??

im going to habe to remortgage aren't i?

BikeRunSki Sun 31-May-15 20:20:50

lol lavender DH used to work in one of the few UK shops that sells "Patagucci" (when he did it was very rare in the UK and long before they sold over the web in Europe - you had to ring them in Chamonix if you really wanted something sent) and is still a massive gear snob. I am too a bit, but it lasts and lasts. I still run in a long sleeved base layer I bought in 1995, and has been in constant service since.

BikeRunSki Sun 31-May-15 20:22:07

For camping - a down/synthetic down gilet to pull on over main clothes in chilly evenings and mornings is invaluable.

MrsWembley Sun 31-May-15 20:26:35

Yes to thermals and thin walking trousers. It's all about layers, you see, and thin, light clothing which packs easily. One thin t-shirt per day (for the sunny bit), with a variety of sleeves and straps, if there's not going to be an opportunity to wash onsite. If there is then take a couple less than you think you'll need. A fleece or two and/or some sort of waterproof jacket with a hood. A couple of pairs of thick socks. A warm hat.

Be prepared to sleep in the thermals. Be prepared to sleep in the socks. Be prepared to sleep in the hat.

Takver Sun 31-May-15 20:37:12

I'd definitely agree with the gilet - I've got one from Finisterre which gets endless use (not just when camping).

The only thing I'd add to the lists above is a very big scarf - keffiyeh (sp?) type size. Gives an extra warmth layer around the neck, wrap round the head Sophia Loren style if there's midges, use as a blanket, as a sarong after washing etc etc (and indeed at last weekend's Buddhafield camp it got used as a towel for the sauna, cos I forgot mine grin )

slippermaiden Sun 31-May-15 20:43:48

For me it's leggings, dresses, jeans, r shirts, shirts and a fleece. Oh and a waterproof coat, wellies and flip flops. Spend all day on the beach in Cornwall and all you really need is a swimmie and a wetsuit!

gruber Sun 31-May-15 20:53:56

I would love camping clothes but can't afford them!! Literally just back from a weekend camping in the forest. Left Fri back this afternoon. took:
2 trousers (wore 1 packed 1)
2 long sleeved tops (wore 1)
Long long vest top
Jumper
thick zip up fleece
Walking socks clean each day
Thick bed socks for inside tent
I wear ski base layer as pjs- decent enough, long and warm. Plus a camisole vest top underneath and a thin fleece and hat on top plus bed socks (above)
Waterproof
Walking boots
Crocs
(If space I add Wellies as easier to get On and off than walking boots!)

TheoriginalLEM Sun 31-May-15 21:10:04

I was niavely hoping i just hop into my sleeping bag in bra and pants, thats not gonna happen is it? Will deffo get some warm socks though

TheFallenMadonna Sun 31-May-15 21:19:14

I just wear normal clothes really. I have a gilet thing, waterproof coat and a pair of quick dry trousers for if it is unrelentingly wet. But otherwise I wear shorts/jeans, t shirts, sweatshirts. Dresses during two week summer holiday. Sleep in pyjamas, and thermals if camping in May... Birkenstocks, wellies, walking boots, trainers. And scarf. And sunglasses. Oh, and a big brimmed waterproof hat, as I hate hoods.

FrozenAteMyDaughter Sun 31-May-15 21:21:27

I don't have camping clothes as such because I am too tight/broke. I am also fat. for a weekend, long or short I take:

Two pairs of jeans (wear one pair there) and one pair of three quarter lengths for hot days. Shorts and I parted company years ago.
2 or 3 light tops/tshirts.
One warm cardigan or thin jumper
One large, thick and ancient fleece for the evening
One set of thermals for nights and mornings
Crocs plus flip flops or sandals
Walking boots/wellies
Warm Russian style hat (for under the cover of darkness only)
Waterproof jacket

I may sleep in any or all of the above depending on temperature.

lavendersun Sun 31-May-15 21:48:55

I think that what you do when you are camping influences your clothes choice too. We walk, bike or canoe generally. We might do an hour walking round a town or go to a castle or something but generally we are outside ... almost always without a short cut back if the weather changes so we need to wear things that dry quickly/don't rub etc..

If you are sightseeing/relaxing then you might not need the same sort of stuff that I do - bit worried that have frightened TheOriginalLEM here!!

profpoopsnagle Sun 31-May-15 21:51:46

I also take my normal clothes but agree on the thermals as they're so versatile- day or night and they're underneath.

Last week I took:
3x cropped trousers
1x jeans
1x old joggers to wear around fire at night
variety of tops to go with the trousers
3x hooded cardis
thermal leggings
vests- some thermal some not but to add as layers
walking shoes
walking sandals
posher shoes to wear in towns.

I tend to lay stuff out on the bed and then try to reduce amount by a third. It's tricky though when you have to pack for hot and cold.

I also tend to do a wash or two when camping. I tried a new trick this time of washing and drying a load on the day we left as we struck camp and it was nice to know that there was a load less waiting for me to do at home. (We don't have a dryer at home so it takes ages and means a lot more needs ironing). I'm definitely doing that again.

Camper12234 Sun 31-May-15 23:10:46

I always take far too much and never end up wearing any of the nice stuff I've packed. A pair of Crocs or slip on shoes is vital as is a pair of flip flops to wear in the shower.

maddy68 Sun 31-May-15 23:14:21

Always take a blanket to wrap round you at night while sitting and chatting
Just a couple of pairs of jeans. Shorts t shirts and flip flops

gingeroots Mon 01-Jun-15 09:12:31

Enjoying all the suggestions and can see a theme emerging .
Thermals ,wraps ,and wearing all ones clothes in bed .

Three quarter length trousers = good for those morning walks across the wet fields to the loos .

Now - anyone got any stylish ideas for keeping the nose warm at night in tent ?

expatinscotland Mon 01-Jun-15 09:27:05

Walking trousers are expensive. I use track suit bottom instead. They are synthetic and dry quickly. Walking boots, croc-type shoes, flip flops.

Harverina Mon 01-Jun-15 09:39:28

On the few occasions that I have camped I just wear normal casual clothes.

Jeans, converse etc.

Though I am the type of camper who takes her hair dryer and straighteners with me wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now