Talk

Advanced search

Best child-friendly festival

(20 Posts)
TheFutureSupremeRulersMum Tue 28-Oct-14 12:34:51

I really want to take DD to a festival next year. Preferably one that's not too big and has activites she can do (she'll be 2.5 yo). I really like the look of Wilderness. Has anyone been and what is it like? Are there any others that people would recommend?

Onlyjoking Fri 31-Oct-14 19:16:59

We took our boys to the YNOT festival, Derbyshire it was ace, first time for them it's a nice smaller festival.

paneer Fri 31-Oct-14 23:18:06

chilled in a field. very small.

TheGirlwiththeShittyTattoo Fri 31-Oct-14 23:24:55

Beautiful days was perfect

NettleTea Sat 01-Nov-14 17:31:57

I can second Chilled in a Field. And i also run a woodland workshop there!!

TheFutureSupremeRulersMum Sun 02-Nov-14 18:37:38

Is there lots to do during the day at Chilled in a Field? What's the camping area like?

paneer Sun 02-Nov-14 21:21:36

CIAF has a fair bit to do for the kids, it is also next to Bentley museum which is lovely. There's a little train. Woods. Crafts. It is very small. Even bring small we still managed not to get to the woodland stage!

meringue33 Sun 02-Nov-14 21:24:03

Deer Shed is brilliant

TheFutureSupremeRulersMum Tue 04-Nov-14 14:00:51

Is 2.5 too young to get enough out of a festival? Are they aimed at older children?

mydaftlass Tue 04-Nov-14 14:08:45

Just So is good if you want something really aimed at the children. My DC love it, more so now they are a wee bit older than your LO though. Not so good if you want an adult festival experience too.

littlesupersparks Tue 04-Nov-14 14:11:51

Camp Bestival is amazing but maybe bit big for what you are looking for?

littlesupersparks Tue 04-Nov-14 14:12:51

And I've taken my boys this year aged 2 and 4 and the previous year and they DEFINITELY got a lot out of it. I don't think 2.5 is too young.

Thereshallbeaspirin Tue 04-Nov-14 14:28:13

Camp b was our favourite for younger children - 2.5 definitely not too young, especially if they are into mr tumble and suchlike. Cornbury better when they start getting into music.

TheFutureSupremeRulersMum Tue 04-Nov-14 17:02:33

I'm not bothered about an adult festival experience at all! I'm not into music so this is mainly about doing fun activities during the day and enjoying camping with friends - hoping to go with some others.

TheFutureSupremeRulersMum Tue 04-Nov-14 17:06:54

Also, does anyone know when I should start panicking about buying tickets?

FrozenAteMyDaughter Tue 04-Nov-14 17:07:58

Elderflower Fields is great too. It is free for under 5s probably because they can't attend all the Sports and Arts camps, but there are other activities they can do - storytime sessions, drop in art and crafts tents and a special sports camp for the under 5s. Also face painting obviously. DD was 3 the first year we went and she had an absolute ball - made loads of friends too.

FrozenAteMyDaughter Tue 04-Nov-14 17:10:00

I would also second (or third) Chilled in a Field. We went in 2013 but couldn't go this year. It was VERY small in 2013 and the new venue (Bentley Estate) is much better (Elderflower Fields was there in 2013 although it has now moved to a bigger site).

I think ticket sales for both are available now and the earlier you book, the cheaper the tickets.

Blowninonabreeze Tue 04-Nov-14 17:16:29

We went to our first festival with children last year. Went to the big feastival.
It was wonderful. It has an equal emphasis on music and food. Loads for little kids to do. Not too big. Nice toilets and showers.

Highly recommend it.

We bought tickets in march (it's last w/e in August) but there were still camping tickets available in June. (And more released at the last minute)

Wouldn't hesitate to go again if the line up is as good next year

Sleepdeprivedinsomerset Tue 04-Nov-14 17:21:50

We've been to the just So the last 2 years- great for children and my 2.5 yr old got a lot out of it, but it's aim is children so not an adult festival experience at all- tbh though we quite liked that as it feels safe and manageable, especially with toddlers

TheFutureSupremeRulersMum Tue 04-Nov-14 17:27:10

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm really torn between Wilderness, Just So and Deer Shed. I think dates and location may play a factor in our final decision. I really like the idea that Just So is aimed at families/children and that they had John Hegley there this year but Wilderness really appeals with some of the activities they have on and it's a bit nearer to us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now