Advanced search

Inflatable tents

(8 Posts)
HexBramble Tue 14-Oct-14 23:19:23

Am sorely tempted, I really am....

Anyone with experience of these?

Nobloomingideapgornot Wed 15-Oct-14 11:42:03

Hi

We brought a Kampa filey 6 air at the start of this season, it's spacious, bright, well thought out, easy to put up alone and all in one so no awkward extensions to mess around with.....we spent 5 hours at a camping shop dissecting ever single aspect of every tent.

Still that didn't stop the disaster that then ensued. Four different pumps broke on four separate occasions. Twice when I was alone with a cranes car, my six year old son and puppy,as my husband was following later.
The whole package cost £1200,
Needless to say after a short battle with the point of purchase and kampa, we returned it under the sales of goods act as not fit for purpose. How can you have an inflatable tent if the pump is inadequate.
Kampa admitted to me that the pump had been redesigned for next year as has been causing issues.

We now have totally switched just four days before our two week French camping trip, to an Outwell Vermont XLP which is enormous and heaven but an amazing tebt.

I would now stick with steel frame tent, after all it's more likely you can still patch up a pole but can't inflate a tent without a pump!!
Good luck

HexBramble Wed 15-Oct-14 16:21:37

Oh heck. Sounds a disaster!
To be honest, after 4 years of a Royal Athens, steel poked tent, I'm ready to sell it. It's huge, yes very spacious and roomy BUT the more space you have, the more crap you take and it's really stressful at the end of a trip. We also holiday in France every year and whilst putting the tent up is fine (start if holiday energy, feel good factor etc, kids are exploring and happy etc), taking it down at the end is a hassle now.

We want to change it!!!

campingfilth Thu 16-Oct-14 19:56:13

I have the kampa filey 6 and it has also gone back to kampa as it leaked badly they apparently resprayed it. I would not recommend it tbh.

However, I do love it as it is spacious etc and I have an electric pump that has never been a problem.

kemurf Thu 16-Oct-14 20:30:59

We have just bought an uber expensive dutch tent, a Karsten inflatable and modular tent. The tents get rave reviews if you do a search and are gorgeous. I swooned over them on hols in France this year. They are made of a canvas type material too. I can't wait until spring when we can go away for a weekend!
We are pretty seasoned campers and are parting with an Outwell Nevada M. There is a Karsten tent display this weekend I think by the only UK provider, Camping Travel Store. Look them up and drool...!

Purplepixiedust Tue 18-Nov-14 10:08:04

I have an outwell tomcat lp which I have only used for a couple of nights at the start of october. Can't wait for the spring smile

Its a good size 6.4m by about 3.6m I think. The plan was to have a larger tent than the 4 man I have which I could still put up without another adult. The pack size is huge though - my main problem will be handling that but I reckon I will get used to it. It went up easy with inflation taking less than 10 mins and outwell tents are great quality. Got it in the end of season sale with carpet and footprint for just under £800 so very happy.

MrsMot Tue 18-Nov-14 10:13:36

We love our Vango Infinity 800 Airbeam. Goes up v quickly and vv robust. Never had a problem with it leaking or the beams leaking.

They're not cheap but you might get reduced in the end of years sales.

tilder Fri 02-Jan-15 23:21:16

I guess it depends what you want to use it for. If its for an easy to put up weekend tent, then no as pop ups are much cheaperand brilliant. If its for good quality, spacious family holiday tent then no as can get much better quality tents for that price.

Sorry, not very helpful. Am very unimpressed by these tents. But then I think outwell are overpriced and poor quality, very much a minority view.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now