Talk

Advanced search

Camping Heaters

(16 Posts)
LondonSuperTrooper Fri 28-Mar-14 09:51:47

Hi,

Please can you recommend your portable camping heater please? I'm camping next weekend and will need it to warm up the tent.... I will keep the tent well ventilated smile

Thanks.

UniS Fri 28-Mar-14 09:53:18

will you have an electric hook up point?

PigletJohn Fri 28-Mar-14 10:00:56

Woolly vest and socks.

Never any kind of stove.

LondonSuperTrooper Fri 28-Mar-14 10:27:25

No EHU.

PigletJohn - I am ALWAYS cold and I fear it will be a miserable trip if I cannot get warm at night.

PigletJohn Fri 28-Mar-14 10:39:34

Two woolly vests then, and a better sleeping bag, or a fat person to snuggle up with. A foam mattress will insulate you from the cold ground. Airbeds are cold.

UniS Fri 28-Mar-14 13:46:38

fuel burning heaters are not safe in a tent.

you could fill a hot water bottle. Use plenty of layers below you as well as on you. eat well keep moving about until you go to bed warm.

Ledkr Sat 29-Mar-14 18:19:25

How about halogen?

PigletJohn Sat 29-Mar-14 18:27:45

no electricity.

Ledkr Sat 29-Mar-14 18:39:10

Ah I see. As you are around for questions can I ask if the halogen ones are safe for tents/awnings. I was going to get one so that we can camp bravely at Easter (small camper with drafty awning)

PigletJohn Sat 29-Mar-14 18:55:27

I would worry about it catching fire. You only need the wind to blow a flap onto a hot surface.

Lay in a good stock of vests.

Ledkr Sat 29-Mar-14 19:45:09

You do like your vests don't you? grin
Be ok to use when we are say in the awning though?
Wed turn it off when we get into the van to sleep.

FourArms Sun 30-Mar-14 23:18:10

We use a halogen heater - it has a safety cut out if knocked so I'm sure the worst we'd have would be a hole in the groundsheet. Just bought a lovely new oil radiator which is coming next weekend smile

FourArms Sun 30-Mar-14 23:20:06

OP - hot water bottles, hot drinks, PJs on before bed. I bought a gas heater but was too scared to use it. DS1 then went on to get hypothermia. sad Not due to poor equipment but him getting too hot and stripping in his sleep!

Wolfiefan Sun 30-Mar-14 23:23:27

Thermals
PJs
Jumper/jogging bottoms
Pair of v thick socks or a thin and thick.
Get ready for bed before it gets cold.
Hot water bottle.
If using inflatable mats put a bed roll under and a blanket on top.
More blankets
Hat
4 season sleeping bag.
I defy you to still be cold!!

Blu Sun 30-Mar-14 23:30:33

Make sure you are warm before you get in your sleeping bag - even if it means running and jumping about.
Hot water bottle
Hat
Insulation underneath you.

Failing all that, and plummeting temperatures: AirBnB / Don't go!

LondonSuperTrooper Mon 31-Mar-14 09:23:30

Thank you all for your fab suggestions! I'll take our thermals and extra layers then smile

We usually take our duvet and pillows when camping - I can't sleep in sleeping bags.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now