Talk

Advanced search

Good campsites for dogs

(7 Posts)
puddleofpiddle Wed 26-Mar-14 12:42:14

Our dog loves camping but has issues with other dogs getting too close which caused a lot of frustration last year at one site. It was a popular campsite but unfortunately the owner had packed everyone in around the edges and we got hemmed in on both sides with only a couple of metres between tents. The situation was made much worse when the family next to us kept letting their dog loose and it wandered into our tent a couple of times despite us asking them to keep it out and explaining our dog's problems. We ended up leaving early as even the campsite owner wouldn't enforce his own rules and the dog came into our tent again. Fortunately ours was muzzled sad

So my question is, does anyone have any recommendations for campsites with lots of space between pitches and where they are stringent about dogs being kept on leads? I've been told caravan club sites are the best to visit but we are not members so only have access to some. We love fourwinds for camping with pooch but would like to find some other sites with huuuuge pitches smile

2Kids2Cats1Dog Wed 26-Mar-14 20:25:18

Redbank Farm near Morecambe. owner comes round on a tractor. No dogs allowed off lead, we got told off when ours escaped one day. Its a working farm so they DO enforce it.

No set pitches so you can go away from other people,

Blu Thu 27-Mar-14 20:22:46

It sounds as if you need the less regimented, 'camp where you like' type sites, which tend to have far more space, and you can find a place where you are not next to anyone else.

Somewhere like Merrylands in E Sussex, or Forgewood (I think Forgewood allows dogs, Merrylands certainly does)

puddleofpiddle Tue 01-Apr-14 12:01:34

thanks for the suggestions - will have a look! I think we probably need quieter sites. We won't be taking him on the main family holiday but it's nice to have a few more options for weekends away smile

MrsMcEnroe Tue 01-Apr-14 12:05:50

Lobb Fields in North Devon is good, and the "dogs on leads" rule is respected by everyone. There is a designated dog walk area but the pooches still have to be on lead. Nice campsite, and close to an awesome beach, with friendly, helpful owners (and an onsite burger van!)

puddleofpiddle Thu 03-Apr-14 09:43:53

That one looks good MrsMcEnroe, my dh would be sold on the burger van alone hmm grin

MrsMcEnroe Thu 03-Apr-14 11:47:21

grin

Ewleaze (near Weymouth) is also good. It's only open for a few weeks in the summer. You pitch wherever you want, so you can guarantee yourself a lot of space. There is a farm shop, bakery and food outlet on site - none of it is cheap, but your husband would like it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now