Talk

Advanced search

The old tent fitted carpet vs not fitted carpet vs rug question...

(8 Posts)
lynniep Tue 25-Mar-14 17:24:44

I've asked this on the camping forum - but I'm going for a mn opinion too!

I've just bought a Maritsa 700, knowing that I would be unable to get hold of a carpet.

There is one that 'almost' fits (the nadina 600 carpet is the right shape but will be smaller in size) Its also £69, which is ok, but still a lot of money when we need to buy other kit. Its pretty big when packed (40 x 24 x24) and space is going to be an issue even with the roofbox.

However, If I don't get it, will I regret not buying one that covers most of my living space?

There is a gelert carpet on sports direct that is only £24.
Its 235 x 320, so still a substantial size. It would fit down the middle of my tent like a runway with about 80cm gap on either side. Having seen pics on this site, and the floorplan of the Atlantis 5, I think the carpet will be tapered (in a similar way to the maritsa) rather than rectangular but I'm not sure. There is spectacularly little information on the carpets themselves. I have no idea how big/small the pack size is either but I'm guessing slightly smaller than the Vango. I have emailed Gelert to ask.

There is also a waterproof backed rug on ebay for £20. Its 220cm x 300 so a bit smaller than the Gelert carpet. Probably lighter too. Possibly wont last though and therefore not worth it?

Please help me make my mind up!

professorpoopsnagle Tue 25-Mar-14 17:30:50

There are some carpets currently very cheap here

hillbilly Tue 25-Mar-14 18:34:00

It depends what type of camper you are and what you use your tent for. Personally I'm in favour of rugs or mats instead of tent carpet but that is because we don't really spend time indoors. The mats provide a nicer underfoot feel as I step crawl bleary eyed out of the sleeping pod. If you like to sit indoors then a carpet might be better smile

hillbilly Tue 25-Mar-14 18:35:12

Of course I meant smile not smile confused

chicaguapa Wed 26-Mar-14 07:29:44

The one that fits down the middle sounds ok to me as you can use the uncarpeted areas at the sides to put your stuff.

jennyl131 Wed 26-Mar-14 07:39:31

camping with small children in Scotland, we tried the picnic rug solution, but very quickly bought a carpet and then used the picnic rugs to line the bedroom areas.

Made a huge difference in terms of insulation more than anything else. The better the fit, the better the insulation.

stargirl1701 Wed 26-Mar-14 07:41:49

We are Scottish campers too. Fitted carpet for us. Vango Incarus.

lynniep Fri 28-Mar-14 11:47:06

I bought the nadina carpet in the end, as they have c**ked up the website today and I got it for £63 along with a few other things I needed, and therefore got £10 off the order.
It should arrive next week, so I will hopefully get the tent up and see how well it fits!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now