Talk

Advanced search

First time camping in France (Vendee?)..looking for an old style campsite, not a water park

(9 Posts)
Veggy Sat 15-Mar-14 22:38:38

Corny as it may be I really want to replicate the camping holidays I went on as a kid - running around campsites that were basically fields, swimming in lakes and hanging on beaches eating baguettes and warm peaches. Is that still possible? Every campsite I look at seems to be more like a theme park (with a price tag to match) - swimming pools, water slides, play grounds, restaurants etc. I know it looks great and would suit most people but it's not the kind of holiday I'm after. Can anyone recommend how to find out about old style campsites - beautiful locations, natural and peaceful with no on site water park?
There are 2 families going with two 7 yr olds, a 5yr old and a 2yr old. We are taking our own tents/equipment. Arriving from the Chunnel to Calais and probably heading to the Vendee (South?). We've got 2 weeks (last week in July, 1st in August). Returning on the overnight from Caen.
We need warmth (hence heading south), don't mind a bit of driving, fancy 2 or 3 sites. And as I've said - looking for camping as it used to be - small but lovely sites, near beaches/lakes/forests/villages, things to do and see. Any advice appreciated as I am lost and can't escape from the euro camp style sites.
Thank you x

hillbilly Sun 16-Mar-14 16:48:15

I can highly recommend Les Valades in the Dordogne. Lots of open space, pool and lake. No slides. Went last summer and returning this year. It may well be booked up though. Top tip-,if you want a more rustic pitch, you need to book the section by the pool which is shaded in the trees.

Veggy Sun 16-Mar-14 18:20:03

Thanks Hillbilly I'll check it out x

Iggi101 Thu 20-Mar-14 23:43:08

I stayed in the Vendee in July a few years back and it was the wettest week I've ever spent - really thought we'd gone far enough for some decent weather! I imagine that's not typical though.

hz Fri 21-Mar-14 10:28:16

Have a look at Cool Campings France listings for that kind of campsite.

Veggy Fri 21-Mar-14 21:18:20

Ooo no - rain would ruin it! I know they aren't always accurate, but weather reports say it's going to he scorcher of a summer... Here at least but hoping it meant Europe wide! I guess if the weather is truly awful we can just keep driving south until we find the sun!

Veggy Fri 21-Mar-14 21:19:21

Cool Camping is on order, thanks for the tip!

applegate Wed 26-Mar-14 07:23:28

We went to vendee in august 3 years ago and it was hideously wet, it isn't far enough south to guarantee good weather. The following year we went further south to messanges and it was absolutely stunning 30 + everyday.Its a long drive took us about 9 hrs solid as we wanted to get there in one day but was so worth it for the guaranteed weather.

Branleuse Wed 26-Mar-14 07:24:11

theres a book callwd cool camping france. check it out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now