Talk

Advanced search

Windproof gazebo

(20 Posts)
fatsatsuma Tue 06-Aug-13 14:22:45

We camp every year at a wonderful but exposed site where it rains a lot grin

Last year I took a cheap gazebo under which we planned to cook, eat and shelter from the rain/sun. It blew over immediately.

Can anyone recommend a gazebo/day tent that can withstand the elements?

MummyPigsFatTummy Tue 06-Aug-13 17:15:01

Coleman event shelters are good and are intended for camping, unlike garden gazebos, although some people I know have had problems. Ours has been fine though and you can buy sides for them to protect from the elements. However, if you want to cook etc, you might look for a day tent. Quite a few companies do them - I think Kampa might do one which is quite quick to put up.

fatsatsuma Tue 06-Aug-13 17:57:12

Thanks that's helpful. I had heard of day tents but wasn't sure exactly what they were. I will google.

mystaplerisevil Tue 06-Aug-13 18:02:54

are the event shelters waterproof? (sorry for hijack but they look fab for what i am after)!

NoComet Tue 06-Aug-13 18:05:34

Yes you need something designed for camping.

Gazebos are not wind proof At least not without extra long pegs, blue rope guys, a hedge, a fence and a cast iron table to tie them to. Even then they wrap themselves round the swing frame in a good gale.

We have no shade, we recon on trashing one gazebo every two years, even with the above precautions the fabric UV damages and the better guys tear out.

hz Tue 06-Aug-13 19:17:31

We have a kyham day tent, very handy, pretty quick to erect. don't use it anymore for caming as have van now but have used it for other things like party in the park and shelter for outdoor playgroup. Very handy bit of kit!

hz Tue 06-Aug-13 19:19:49

Ours was not as big as a coleman event shelter but did accomodate kitchen stuff on one side and one of those all in one table and chair things. Sides can be rolled up to make it very open or down to protect form the elements plus windows.

Mum2Fergus Tue 06-Aug-13 20:37:24

Can't do links but we have an Ozark Trail Gazebo which is fab..never let us down! Got mine off ASDA website...

MummyPigsFatTummy Tue 06-Aug-13 22:06:24

Mystaplerisevil, the event shelters are waterproof, yes. And lovely and big too. M

Mum2, how does your Ozark stand up to wind? We have one but it seemed to just bend and twist in windy conditions.

Princesspond Tue 06-Aug-13 23:35:33

Just to say v impressed with the coleman event shelters, we had the misfortune of camping in 30mph winds. The event shelters withstood it all - the party gazebo was in several pieces strewn across the field.

Lilyloo Tue 06-Aug-13 23:56:04

We saw a Coleman event shelter up this weekend, was great. They then zipped in the sides when the rain came over beats any gazebo I have seen blown away at a campsite.

fatsatsuma Wed 07-Aug-13 09:32:21

Thanks everyone. I think the Coleman event shelter is what we need, but they are a bit more expensive than I realised so maybe will have to wait til next year.

MummyPigsFatTummy Wed 07-Aug-13 09:53:08

It's worth keeping an eye out for deals fatsatsuma. Every so often somwewhere sells them for a really good price out of season.

MarianForrester Wed 07-Aug-13 10:18:49

We have a quechua pop up tent from decathlon that we use. Our "living room" tent. It unzips on all sides to an extent. It is really useful lest it should rain, or be too sunny when camping. Think it's a Base Seconds??

Mum2Fergus Wed 07-Aug-13 17:03:44

Mine stood up well in all conditions so far Mummy...I usually peg it so it partially overlaps tent and guy it out same smile

CaurnieBred Wed 07-Aug-13 23:58:03

Coleman event shelters currently on offer at Go Outdoors

MummyPigsFatTummy Thu 08-Aug-13 01:04:12

Hmm, that's interesting - £118.97. I always thought that prices ending in 97 are code for being discontinued. i wonder if there is a new version in the pipeline?

MissWimpyDimple Sun 11-Aug-13 13:09:40

We also have the Asda one. So far it's been great. The mesh sides are so handy.

Initially when I put it up, I didn't attach the guys properly and it did twist and collapse partially but once I had sorted it out and pegged it in properly it stood up to fairly harsh winds.

Packs up small too and only £30. We love it for eating in (with the £15 tesco folding picnic table!). Bargain camping!

JerusalemJanet Sat 11-Mar-17 13:22:33

Wow.

Just came across this post via google and now realise its over 3 years old... So i hope you don't mind...

I recently used this site to browse a few gazebos. Looks they're not fully set up yet as only has a few gazebo reviews but there seems to be a few that may be of help to you.

My choice was the 2x2 from Airwave
> windproofgazeboreviews.com/airwave-2x2m-pop-gazebo

although very nearly bought this one but in the end seemed to big for what we actually wanted.
windproofgazeboreviews.com/airwave-2x2m-pop-gazebo

JerusalemJanet Sat 11-Mar-17 13:23:47

Sorry.

Meant this is what we nearly bought
> windproofgazeboreviews.com/coleman-event-shelter-12x12

Sorry i posted the same link twice ij the post above

Janet x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now