Talk

Advanced search

Is it possible to go camping without a car?

(44 Posts)
ScummyMummy Mon 29-May-06 22:35:51

Um, like the title says. Really fancy a few days camping during the summer holidays but have no car. Have a fantasy of jumping on a train with boys, bikes and lightweight tent then pedelling to an idyllic nearby campsite. Is this unrealistic?

expatinscotland Mon 29-May-06 22:37:11

Possible, yeah. If you're on your own w/a Eurail pass.

Ever tried pedalling w/a LOT of weight? It sux. You have to keep stopping to rebalance and packing's a 'mare.

Hire a car.

sallystrawberry Mon 29-May-06 22:39:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

roisin Mon 29-May-06 22:44:25

I certainly couldn't do it. My boys wouldn't be able to carry anything, and I couldn't manage it all.

The bare minimum would be, what? A lightweight tent, 3 sleeping bags, 3 sleeping mats, change of clothes for all, camping stove, pans, and crockery, washing up bowl ...

Carrying all your gear is possible for enthusiastic and fit adults. With kids you need so much more IME, and they can't really carry much themselves.

busybusybee Mon 29-May-06 22:44:30

I have been camping carless pre kids!
With kids - its possible depending how old they are and how up for it you are

I would be prepared to give it a go - but you definitely need to plan plan plan for everything whilst at the same time pack lightly

Plan what food you will eat each day and where you will get it from or you will end up focusing every day on where you will get your food from

One major advantage of no car is you can move on each day etc if you wish!

sallystrawberry Mon 29-May-06 22:46:15

SueW Mon 29-May-06 22:52:55

You could try something like this! Looks like it's in Scotland but not much in the way of other clues.

ScummyMummy Mon 29-May-06 22:53:17

Okaaay! I think I have my answer. Bum. I like the idea of a tag along trailer though Sally! Maybe that is a possiblity... Are they expensive?

ScummyMummy Mon 29-May-06 22:55:17

That looks great Sue- they're not giving much away though, are they? And Scotland's a bit far for us, esp if it all goes pear shaped as seems v likely from the response so far!

sallystrawberry Mon 29-May-06 22:57:32

sallystrawberry Mon 29-May-06 22:58:20

SueW Mon 29-May-06 22:58:58

What about this then?

sallystrawberry Mon 29-May-06 23:07:05

ScummyMummy Mon 29-May-06 23:07:49

Hmm. Perhaps a little bit communal for me, SueW! I really like the idea of a bike trailer though... Do you think we could fit roisin's list of essentials in that cool raleigh one, Sally?

sallystrawberry Mon 29-May-06 23:09:08

ScummyMummy Mon 29-May-06 23:10:18

4th post up from the bottom.

sallystrawberry Mon 29-May-06 23:11:43

sallystrawberry Mon 29-May-06 23:12:38

ScummyMummy Mon 29-May-06 23:12:41

I have 7 year old twins. I guess they could manage a change of clothes in a mini rucksack.

sallystrawberry Mon 29-May-06 23:13:21

sallystrawberry Mon 29-May-06 23:14:59

ScummyMummy Mon 29-May-06 23:16:03

London. Yes. Would want somewhere within a couple of miles max from a train station and with nearby shop{s}. But still idyllic and countryish. Any ideas?

ScummyMummy Mon 29-May-06 23:19:54

Oooo! Cool cool bag! We have just started cycling with them at the weekends. They stivck to the pavements though. I think you're right about the country roads, actually- safety would be a major issue if there weren't any pavements. In fact i've just added pavements or off road cycle routes to my list of reqiuirements. I don't think this is gonna happen somehow!

Mercy Mon 29-May-06 23:23:33

We went to a campsite in Rye - the train station was very near. It was pretty basic so may not be suitable as it was pre-kids. Will try to remember the name of it.

sallystrawberry Mon 29-May-06 23:25:28

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: