Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for French municipal sites please (or ones to avoid!)

(15 Posts)
chicaguapa Wed 05-Jun-13 13:07:38

We are going to camp in France for 2 weeks over the summer and stay at the municpal sites, so we can be flexibile and follow the sun if required.

I have bought a copy of the French campsite guide and would like to mark the ones that people have stayed at and would recommend and/or cross through the ones which are terrible and should be a last resort. I've no idea where we're going, but I doubt we'll make it to the south coast, unless absolutely necessary. But we'll make it up as we go along and won't be pre-booking.

So if you have stayed at one and think it should be highlighted in my book, please would you let me know. It will be good to have a focus and have a few that stand out in the guide. Thanks.

Quenelle Wed 05-Jun-13 13:23:42

We stayed at this one in Beaumont-sur-Sarthe near Le Mans last year. It's pleasant enough and well-kept. And only about €10 for one night in mid-June. You book through the Office de Tourisme and Reception is only open for a limited time during the day. Lovely staff though.

It's in the town so handy for nearby supermarket. We couldn't find anywhere really suitable for a couple of beers and an ice cream for the boy though sadly. All the bars were the PMU type ones which aren't especially family friendly.

It's on a river and there are pitches right next to the water. There's a playing field with some swings IIRC. There's no swimming pool on site but the municipal pool is next door I think.

It's a very handy and cheap place to stop over if you're heading Poitiers-way though. And perfect for anybody going to the Le Mans 24 Hours. We were there the night before the race and were kept entertained watching all the Brits pitching tents alongside their Ferraris and Porsches.

Quenelle Wed 05-Jun-13 13:24:48

I meant to say I've also just bought that guide. I shall be marking them off in my copy too now grin

chicaguapa Wed 05-Jun-13 13:33:12

Thanks Quenelle. It looks lovely and there's nowt better than a recommendation.

Rainbowinthesky Tue 25-Jun-13 08:15:21

Bumping someone else's thread for any other recommendations !

Kahlua4me Tue 25-Jun-13 13:50:52

We stayed at one in Chinon. It was very good and the town was lovely.
Amazing castle.

frenchfancy Wed 26-Jun-13 20:39:28

Not a municiple site, but a good private one here: http://www.tripadvisor.fr/Hotel_Review-g2275814-d3841032-Reviews-Camping_La_Joletiere-Mervent_Vendee_Pays_de_la_Loire.html (their site seems to be down at the moment so I've put the trip adviser link instead)

We go every year - even though we don't live far away. They nearly always have space, though worth ringing a day ahead if you can. The pool is lovely, and its heated. Site is small so never crowded.

frenchfancy Wed 26-Jun-13 20:39:50

Sorry here

LifeofPo Thu 27-Jun-13 12:21:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MarianneEnjolras Thu 27-Jun-13 12:28:58

Marking place

millimat Fri 28-Jun-13 20:50:00

Another vote for Beaumont Sur sarthe.

Kahlua4me Fri 28-Jun-13 23:05:11

lifeofPo not sure about swimming pol. Sorry. It is right next to the river though!

Kahlua4me Fri 28-Jun-13 23:05:27

Pool, even!

LifeofPo Sat 29-Jun-13 09:42:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chicaguapa Mon 31-Mar-14 20:16:57

Bumping this for new traffic. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now