loader

Talk

Advanced search

I used to like camping but it all felt wrong last night

(14 Posts)
kim147 Wed 29-May-13 18:53:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Thu 30-May-13 00:30:39

Did you get changed right before bed? Into clean PJs? I was told that failure to do this can result in freezing ones knackers off. Something to do with the fine layer of sweat which will cling to the inside of clothing we've had on a while....

BBQ...why wouldn;'t it light? Did you give up?

ninah Thu 30-May-13 00:36:28

nah, I've gone right off it too. Two lousy summers in succession. The only good thing about it is the first bath afterwards. I'd rather be at home with the kettle on.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Thu 30-May-13 00:40:55

I must admit, last time we went all I wanted to do was leave the campsite and go shopping in the day! Evenings can be a chore....sitting in a damp jumper...brushing endless crumbs and grass out of the tent....on the other hand it can be magical when the weather is good.

Startail Thu 30-May-13 00:44:38

Camping isn't fun if you're over 25.

MinimalistMommi Thu 30-May-13 08:53:44

We're only fair weather campers, we don't go camping unless the sun is shining for a good couple of days, it's just not worth it otherwise. We never books camping pitches in advance, we just ring up day before (which isn't always easy TBH)

kim147 Thu 30-May-13 09:24:21

hz Thu 30-May-13 11:09:40

Well, it has been particularly cold. We had a fire and burned four large sacks of wood in 2 nights! Didn't help away from the fire of course! Completely agree with minimalistmommi, it's no fun if the weather is rubbish. Don't give up on camping!

Quenelle Thu 30-May-13 11:39:33

Fair weather only here too. We were going to do a short trip to try out our new tent and SIMs but have decided to wait for the sun in France in July (please God!).

zumo Fri 31-May-13 08:09:51

This is why we bought a caravan, even a £500 one will give you warm shelter, we started to go away summer and winter too.
Camp fire at night is a good idea.
I just feel its a chore when the weathers bad as you cant do much out side and if you do how do you store wet clothes?

Quenelle Fri 31-May-13 09:19:47

zumo how do you keep warm in a caravan in winter? Do you run a heater all night? Or can you stay warm enough with enough layers of clothes and bedclothes?

zumo Sat 01-Jun-13 15:29:59

Caravans are insulated so will allways retain some heat.
We had a small £10 fan heater that we switched on for a bit if it was very cold.
You can leave a small electric radiator on all night on low and thats safe, the fan heaters are too noisey to leave on.
Remember you would be off the floor so more chance of staying warm for a start

kim147 Sat 01-Jun-13 15:53:26

zumo Sat 01-Jun-13 20:06:00

Our first one cost £100.
We spent about £50 on it and M in L made curtains, had 3 good holidays in it.
Then bought a proper one, you can pick them up for £5-800 out of season, just try and buy one thats got everything you need as all the bits and bobs soon mount up, we had lots of good winter holidays

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now