Talk

Advanced search

Advice please ...very infrequent adult camper - contemplating with baby...

(7 Posts)
tjcc Wed 24-May-06 20:12:09

I camped once as a child and have been to a couple of music festivals...dh used to do v v basic camping and keen to start again but hes not sure need anything more than tent + sleeping bag ! - think have tent sorted main concern now babe bed don't think have space or desire for travel cot as babe hates it anyway....what to do? thanks

hovely Thu 25-May-06 20:40:51

How old is babe?
You could try the following: put babe in fleecy sleepsuit or Grobag from home if you use one: then put whole bundle into cosy-toes from pushchair; use a thin mat like a Thermarest (so babe can't roll off it); put babe in sleeping compartment first so he/she is furthest away from door. This does mean you sharing compartment with him/her.

There are some smaller pop-up type travel cots for little babies but a bit pricy.

What's your concern - warmth, or stopping him/her escaping, or something else?

CristinaTheAstonishing Fri 26-May-06 13:41:49

I hope it's OK to post a similar query on this thread. I'm going camping with DS 6 y.o. and DD 14 months old. I was thinking DD could sleep in my mummy sleeping bag. Will this be safe enough? Should I leave the bag open and just use it as bedding and put a duvet on top?

juliajudeandjoel Sat 27-May-06 17:40:15

We alsways used a grobag and babies slept inbetween us. They were fine and slept through.

tjcc Sat 27-May-06 19:36:10

concern mainly warmth as I've always been cold when camped....babe will be 14mths ....thanks use grobag type thing so will try that with cosy toes in with me

hovely Sat 27-May-06 19:36:33

CristinaTA (love the name) I would be a little concerned with a mummy sleeping bag, but only because both of my dcs are major wrigglers and could easily end up head first down the bottom of the bag.
This year we have bought ready beds for them both and will add a blanket on top each.

CristinaTheAstonishing Thu 01-Jun-06 01:13:06

Thanks for the replies. I had DD in the sleeping bag with me but kept the bag open a bit at the top to give us some more space. It was very, very cold and I wish I'd read on here beforehand about taking a grobag.

Hovely - the name is after a song by Nick Cave. I changed from Cristina7 about a month or so ago.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: