Talk

Advanced search

What do you do with your dog when you camp?

(5 Posts)
Imsosorryalan Fri 24-May-13 20:42:48

Sounds a silly q but what do you do with them when your milling round the tent? Running free or tied up? Also, what about at night. We have a indoor porch bit she could sleep in but am wondering if we should take her crate for ease?
Also a bit worried that she may bark..

doowop Fri 24-May-13 20:54:37

I have a long chain attached to a twisty stake thing that I peg in the ground for when we are milling around the tent. My main concern is the dog running off and snaffling someone else's food or chasing rabbits. At nighttime she is just in the tent and is fine.
My neighbour has a bonkers spaniel and she takes her crate as it is often the only way to get the dog to rest after 8 hours of running around. She has no off switch.

quoteunquote Fri 24-May-13 21:10:27

http://www.petholidayfinder.co.uk/ekmps/shops/pfhf751/images/stake-out-spike-ground-tie-ring-for-dog-lead-385-p.jpg and a long lead/rope

Most site require you not to let your dog run free,

Apart from a dog cocking its leg on tents (which will make you deeply unpopular), dogs that are not use to being so close to livestock deserve their owners to be careful and not allow them to get into trouble. and if you let them run free, you might miss a poo, making all K9 owners unpopular, it's also good form not to allow your dog to poo in camping fields, so take them for a walk, first thing, and pick up,

Most people don't want to interact with other people's dogs, so unless yours is trained and will stay sat when told, keep it on a lead when on a site.

let it sleep in the boot of your car, it will be fine, leave the window open on the opposite side of the wind direction ,

mine usually sleep in a line outside(their choice) the tents, if it rains too hard, they might move into the porch of my tent.

but mine will not move unless instructed by a handler, and are use to sheep.

make sure your dog knows the word "enough" so if it does think it is it's place to bark, you can instantly shut it up.

quoteunquote Fri 24-May-13 21:10:53

www.petholidayfinder.co.uk/ekmps/shops/pfhf751/images/stake-out-spike-ground-tie-ring-for-dog-lead-385-p.jpg

dreamingofsun Sat 25-May-13 10:40:26

a couple of tent pegs bashed into the ground and her lead tied to this with her bed to lay on during the day. otherwise she would run off finding what she could eat in other people's tents. at night she would lay on my kids bed, or on her bed in my compartment. she didn't bark at all....not even when we were near a field of sheep.

i don't think my dog would have liked to have slept without sight of us, especially as she would be able to hear us.

don't tie her to a chair, as she will still chase the rabbits dragging the chair behind.

only problem we had was if it rained, as most of the things you would do you couldn't and some places wouldn't even allow you in cafes/pubs (Dorset its pretty good though)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now