Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have a Quechua Base Seconds Full?

(13 Posts)
hz Tue 21-May-13 20:55:23

I am looking at getting one of these as an awning for my Bongo. Initially I liked the idea of the openings for the pods as it should make the awning feel less enclosed. But now I am concerned that the overhangs for the pods take up as lot of extra space on a pitch. Can anyone tell me, if you are not using the pod openings do they still have to be pegged out in their full overhang mode? Hope this makes some sense to someone out there!

MummyPigsFatTummy Wed 22-May-13 10:28:58

I am afriad I don't have a Base Seconds Full - I have an XL. However, judging on how pop ups normally work, I would have thought you would be able to leave the pod openings flush against the sides of the tent as they will probably have velcro fastenings to hold them against the sides of the tent for use when folding it back up (this is basing it on how their other tents work).

The pod openings on the Full look quite low though in the pictures I have seen as they seem to be intended to butt up against the smaller popups. Is that what you want?

If not, maybe look at a Base Seconds XL - the awnings on that only really jut out as far as the base of the tent (as the walls slope inwards) so do not take up much extra room. You get a lot of useable space inside too.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 22-May-13 10:33:22

I have a Base Seconds Full which I used as an awning for my camper van. I think the overhang has to be out as I don't think there's a way of pegging it back, however I don't think the overhang is noticable at all.

Never been a problem for me taking up space on a pitch....the tent slopes back a bit as it goes up which I think makes the overhang stick out less.

hz Wed 22-May-13 11:05:15

Thanks very much. MummyPigs - I think the Base Seconds XL is too tall to fit perfectly with a campervan which is what the Full does. Viva - Thanks for that, makes me feel more confident!

MummyPigsFatTummy Wed 22-May-13 11:09:22

Oh that's interesting, hz. We have friends with a Bongo whose awning has recently given up the ghost. I would have recommended the XL as a good (and cheap) alternative so useful to know it wouldn't be.

Quenelle Wed 22-May-13 11:18:47

Would the BS Full work as an awning on a Transit-based campervan? We're going to do a conversion later in the year and this looks like a good, cheap alternative to a proper awning.

hz Wed 22-May-13 14:04:31

I don't see why not. Seem to fit well with VW's and Bongo's. Would depend on exact measurement of your van though and how insistent you are on a close fit. I love the fact that you can just drive up to it, no fiddling around trying to attach things!

Quenelle Wed 22-May-13 14:41:01

That's good to know. Thanks hz. Something else to add to my Pinterest campervan board smile.

hz Wed 22-May-13 14:41:36

Should point out you can't actually buy the base seconds full anymore - I've just got one on ebay. But there is the Pop Up Base Shelter Living area which does the same thing without the pod openings and sadly in a rather nasty green colour but still a very good price!

Damnautocorrect Wed 22-May-13 14:50:39

I saw alot of these at a vw transporter show last year, looked fab & perfect for the job

Quenelle Wed 22-May-13 14:55:19

Bummer! Oh well, will see what the situation is when we're in a position to buy one.

moosemama Wed 22-May-13 20:02:36

Useful pics of Quechas being used as awnings on VW Type 4 vans here.

It's an old thread though, so prices and deals they mention are really out of date and no longer relevant.

hz Wed 22-May-13 21:37:37

Thanks moosemama. Just looked at that thread and looks like some of them are using the XL so further research required!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now