Talk

Advanced search

Best lighting and food ideas

(7 Posts)
bluebass Mon 20-May-13 11:17:37

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good electric light for our tent. We will have an electric hook up and I have been browsing lights but can't seem to find many electric ones. Are gas lanterns better?
Also, although we've camped before this will be the first time with 3 children. Does anyone have any favourite simple meal ideas? We have a gas stove and grill, unfortunately none of them like beans!!
Thanks.

SEWannabe Mon 20-May-13 11:41:53

Hi bluebass- i dont have ny good ideas on electric lights (he boyght ones from the £1 shop, but were battery operated, they worked fine all week), but in regards to food:
On our first night, I normally make a huge vat of Chilli con carne and rice.
We eat that on the 1st night, then warm it up again on the 2nd night and serve with crusty bread from the local shop. If there is any leftovers from that, we have it for a 3rd night with cous cous ( you dont need to cook cous-cous, just put into a container, pour over boiled water, and wait for 5 mins).

It sounds a bit boring, having the same meal 3 times in a row, but we are quite active on our camping holidays and this fills us up.

SEWannabe Mon 20-May-13 11:42:58

Good God, would you look at my typos! sorry, i meant to say "we bought ones from the £1 shop".

thonah Mon 20-May-13 12:27:49

We had a fourescent tube inspection light for our tent - it plugs in to the mains and had a hook to hang it up. We later progressed to a normal domestic light fitting wired into a plug complete with lamp shade! Gas lanterns are not better and you have to buy the gas! If you are paying for a hook up use it!

for meals - the rings are fine, but I find the camping grills really hopeless. can you get a barbecue?

professorpoopsnagle Mon 20-May-13 12:28:53

We just use a cheap light from ikea.

Food ideas- pasta and sauce, savoury rice, noodles? All of these cook quite quickly and you can measure out quantities before if you want. Add/mix in pre cooked chicken or ham, or cheese. We tend to have a plate of raw veg for picking at rather than cooking it- carrots, cherry toms etc.

CaveyLovesPendleton Mon 20-May-13 20:09:49

We use an inspection light from Lidl - £2.99. Very good light, albeit makes you look like death warmed up grin
I saw a cheats recipe in GH magazine this month, which I thought sounded camping-friendly. 2 packs of Uncle Ben's express basmati rice into a pan, with 150g cream cheese and then salmon/smoked salmon - sort of a would-be risotto. Struck me as useful for camping and you could add anything, not just salmon. Ham and peas, bacon and blue cheese etc and you don't need to keep those rice pouches refrigerated.

bluebass Tue 21-May-13 12:31:23

Brill! Thanks for all the ideas, feel a lot more prepared now. Just hope the weather holds up for next week! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now