Talk

Advanced search

Icey-Tek are they worth it?

(32 Posts)
iwantanafternoonnap Sun 19-May-13 12:27:46

Hi all,

just wondering if Icey-tek's are worth the money. I am looking to replace my rather rubbish, very cheap cool box with something a bit more substantial for weekend-5 day camping trips when I don't have electric hookups for my fridge.

Are they really worth the money?

cheers x

SlubberInAWinkleWagon Sun 19-May-13 18:38:45

If you camp frequently, or are planning to camp for many years, are not going down the path of EHU and either are camping in hot Forrin, or camping at sites where ice-block exchange is unavailable, limited or expensive (yes I have been charged 50p per envelope size ice lock to refreeze it overnight night) then yes I think they are worth it.

That I can pre-cook 5 out of seven nights worth of dinners, freeze them and then stick them in the tekster on day one and on day 5 of camping my dinner is still frozen solid has added to my camping pleasure. That and ice cold gininatins. I've had several cool boxes in my time and the icy-teks insulating properties are much better, and so they should be for the thickness of the walls and the price.

SlubberInAWinkleWagon Sun 19-May-13 18:40:58

I did test the 10 day claim a few years back. Froze a 2l battle of water, stuck it in the bottom of the tekster, filled it up with food and stuck a bag of ice on the top. 10 days later with no ice block exchanges yes there was still some ice in the bottle. This was hot Forrin and hours spent in the car too.

NettleTea Sun 19-May-13 20:50:36

yep we use them on our campsite and many of the guests have commented on how good they are. They are a godsend - I just need to put a gel pack in at the beginning of the half week session and I know they will be good to go for their break.

AriaB Sun 19-May-13 22:03:39

do you change icepacks every other day though?

iwantanafternoonnap Mon 20-May-13 08:16:07

Thank you. I have bought one and should get to me tomorrow in time for this weekends camping. I love gin and tonics while camping they seem to taste so much better than at any other time grin

Blu Mon 20-May-13 09:48:50

Use those polythene ice-cube bags as part of your feeezing ice fro the Icey tek and then you can have ice in your G&T!

VivaLeBeaver Mon 20-May-13 09:51:20

I've used one for 5 days with no ice pack exchange and it worked well. I had frozen lots of the food and the milk so everything was either frozen or cold to start with.

Ffuntimewincies Mon 20-May-13 12:25:08

I LOVE my Icey-tek, by far my best camping purchase.

It gets used a lot as an extra fridge when we've got guests at Christmas, as a drinks cooler at BBQs and I have loaned it to my next door neighbour when her freezer packed up. I also seen them used with a hot water bottle for proving bread and as a brine bath for a turkey grin.

Makes a great little side table for the evening drinks too.

NettleTea Mon 20-May-13 16:06:35

We just give our campers a gel pack at the beginning of their stay - so either a 3 day or 4 day break. As their food isnt generally frozen we might change the gel pack on a mid week if they were staying the full 7 days

AriaB Mon 20-May-13 19:36:21

Did you buy the gel pack from IceyTek tek?

SalomeD Mon 20-May-13 20:16:11

Blimey! there's a bright blue 40L iceytek on eBay

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Icey-Tek-40L-Coolbox-/140974245519?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20d2b8468f

muchostinky Mon 20-May-13 21:38:43

Such a pretty colour!

I do not need another though..............slowly stepping away from eBay grin

NettleTea Mon 20-May-13 22:32:24

yes the gel packs came from Icetek

NettleTea Mon 20-May-13 22:33:27

ooohhh 40litre...and a lovely blue but far too far for me to consider

Blu Tue 21-May-13 09:35:10

NettleTea - do you find the Icey tek gel packs to be different or superior to any other gel freezer packs?

iwantanafternoonnap Tue 21-May-13 12:38:49

It's arrived and it is beautiful. I love it. I have the ocean blue (think thats right) 40 litre one and I bought 2 gel packs to go in it. I can't wait to use it at elderflower fields festival this weekend.

NettleTea Tue 21-May-13 14:49:46

ooh you are going to be near us Iwant..... that festival is going to be great. I did my forest school leader training there and the guy who runs the festival is one of my instructors.
The gel packs are made to fit exactly into the iceytek they are quite thick and robust looking so I like them alot, although I have not had alotof experience with other types tbh

Blu Tue 21-May-13 14:59:03

Iwantanafernoonnap - I freeze some old plastic bottles of water and put them into the Icey tek 24 hours before filling it with frozen / chilled goods and freezer blocks - pre-chilling makes a difference.

iwantanafternoonnap Tue 21-May-13 15:25:33

nettletea yes I can't wait altough I think the weather is going to be lousy. I have my pirate costume at the ready for the show at 12 and so does my DS. Although my friend has just told me my boobs look like two bald men in my costume LOL

blu thanks for that tip I have some empty squash bottles so will fill and freeze tonight and pop them in tomorrow. The gel packs are already in the freezer

Whats forest school leader training?

weblette Tue 21-May-13 18:49:48

Ahem I may have just the eBay one, oops!

weblette Tue 21-May-13 18:50:10

bought the eBay one grin

NettleTea Tue 21-May-13 19:26:06

forest school leader training

NettleTea Tue 21-May-13 19:27:31

oh goodness. Ive just noticed that it's me on that link making fire at the top!!

weblette Tue 21-May-13 19:30:09

Lovely pic!
My dcs all did Forest School and had a ball!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now