Talk

Advanced search

Camping with a newborn???

(13 Posts)
RoomForALittleOne Sun 19-May-13 10:39:24

We're expecting DC4 (due 11th July but likely to come earlier than that) and would like to go camping from 27th July. Previously I had ruled it out because it seems nuts and I'm worried about how we will manage to keep the baby warm or cool enough depending on the time of day and the weather. But I think that we could really do with a break and the other DC would get so much out of it. Is it even worth considering or is it a totally stupid idea? We would be with a very large group of people who know us well and are willing to help out so it's not like we are going to a camp site where there would be no help at hand.

Doubtfuldaphne Sun 19-May-13 16:13:47

I would be too worried about keeping the baby the right temperature and keeping everything clean. I don't think I'd even like to take my 2.5 yr old camping but I am very high maintenance!
Millions of babies survive in much worse conditions than british campsites though so it can't be that hard.

PhyllisDoris Sun 19-May-13 16:17:09

I would be worried about keeping half the campsite awake if the baby cries in the night.

ShowOfHands Sun 19-May-13 16:21:14

Camping with a baby is actually v v easy, particularly if you're bfing. Easier than camping with a toddler as they don't get up and wander off in the night or crawl around the tent trying to find the escape hatch. Your main concern is keeping the baby warm at night. During the day you keep them cool in the same way you would if you weren't camping (fluids, shade, hat, parasol etc). When we've camped with the dc as babies they slept in a vest and babygro with a fleecy all in one over the top and then under a big blanket with me (we cosleep anyway). I've always loved camping with little children and the fresh air has always made them sleep very well indeed. Do it. Particularly if you have friends with you who understand and are happy to help out.

marmiteandhoney Sun 19-May-13 22:04:21

Baby will be fine. What about you? You'll still be at the dripping-gore and leaky-boobs stage!

attheendoftheday Sun 19-May-13 23:03:41

I consider myself a fairly hardcore camper, and we camped with dd1 at 8 weeks with no problems, but with those dates your dc might only be 2 weeks! I'm sure you can keep the baby warm (co-sleeping's good for this when camping even if you don't when you're at home), but it sounds rough for you if you're still recovering from the birth.

Can you hold off making a decision until the baby is born? Even if you book it, but maybe don't tell the older dc in case you have to call it off?

RoomForALittleOne Mon 20-May-13 10:46:49

I think if I have the baby very soon (quite possible with how things are going) then we may well book it because the baby should be totally fine by the end of July and I won't be leaking from every conceivable place. Plus I'll be well into the swing of BFing by then. I hadn't thought about how yucky and uncomfortable I could be for the first six weeks. I think I just wanted something normal to look forward to after such a hideous pregnancy and something that isn't all about the baby. Ah well, we'll just have to wait and see...

rememberingnothing Mon 20-May-13 14:10:54

I think you would be after about 6 weeks but I'm thinking of changing great big bloody materity pads - not so bad normally but maybe not so easy in a tent or after a trek to the showers. I agree though it sounds lovely. Hope you keep your baby in until its nice and cooked. There's more summer coming (I hope) you can always go again in the summer.

AmandinePoulain Mon 20-May-13 20:18:14

We took a 4wo last September, but only for a night and we were in a camper not a tent. I was bf so sterilising wasn't an issue, and we chose a site with a bath. She slept in a travel cot with her usual sleeping bag on, plus vest, babygro and extra blanket. It was very stressful between about 7 and 10 because she wouldn't settle, so I worried about the noise but we didn't have any complaints luckily! She woke a few times in the night but easily settled with a feed.

If I was you I would hold off booking it for now and see how it goes, good luck!

marmiteandhoney Mon 20-May-13 20:40:21

I do know how you feel. We camped over the second May bank holiday after my second daughter was born (21st April birthday), so she was around six weeks. I just desperately needed some time in a field to feel normal again.

But we didn't book before she was born, in case she was late. I don't think I'd want to be in a tent too shortly after giving birth.

Two years ago I spent a week in a tent at the tail end of a miscarriage. That was grim enough (though healing to spend time camping while I was sad).

orderinformation Mon 20-May-13 21:04:19

Just to add to the your health thing. I needed two baths a day in tea tree oil for three weeks just to heal my bits

Mother2many Wed 22-May-13 16:04:14

GOO...have fun...you won't know what it's like until you try! Think positive! Yes, I do agree, if bf'ing, it's soo much easier....

I camped with a newborn and a one year old...so it can be done!

Make sure to take pictures too! smile)

OrlaKiely Sat 25-May-13 08:06:41

We'rethinking of going soon, but ds is already 4 months old. I think this might be our 'window' before we start the weaning process and so on. And I wouldn't go in the winter with a baby that small.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now