Talk

Advanced search

Wild camping with a baby, is this just a really bad idea'?

(3 Posts)
honeytea Sat 18-May-13 15:05:57

We are planning on driving from Sweden to the UK in July, it will be me dp and our ds who will be 7 months.

Our plan is to stop in Denmark at one of their wild camping spots, they are state run and have loos (allthough not very nice I imagine) and some have showers.

How do you camp with a baby? we use sleeping bags at home for ds so I was thinking that and maybe extra blankets, should we take a travel cot? At home we have a sidecar cot and ds tends to come in bed with us in the early morning and brestfeed till 9/10ish.

Ds will be just starting solids by then, we are intending to do baby led weaning so I guess some fruit and basic food would be ok for him.

Has anyone camped in Denmark before? We have wild camped in Sweden but pre ds.

Thanks smile

DontMeanToBeRudeBut Sat 18-May-13 15:57:55

Personally I wouldn't be bothered by the lack of showers unless I was going for more than two nights. There's only so far baby wipes can stretch!

When we've camped with our two babies we've used roll mats and sleeping bags and just put the baby between us. The first time we went with DC1 we took the travel cot but it just didn't work as he wasn't used to it and the tent lets in a lot of light anyway. We dress them in a long-sleeved vest, sleepsuit, baby sleeping bag and put a fleece blanket over the top and it's been fine. The most important bit has been getting enough insulation from the ground: foil-backed rug, fleece blanket, roll mats and another fleece blanket on top.

LittleFeileFooFoo Sat 18-May-13 16:01:35

It should be fine, that camping does't sound very wild if they have loos and showers! I would see if the sleeping bags zip together, or do as DontMean suggested. being next to you will help the most.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now