Talk

Advanced search

Help me pick an atea of France or other European country!!

(16 Posts)
millimat Fri 17-May-13 22:26:48

Ferry booked for our hols in August for me, dh, dc 9 and dd 5 with our caravan. However we don't know where to go when we get to Calais!
Please inspire me with your favourite places to explore. We'd like there to be things to do as well as time to relax. Suitable cycling routes in the area would be good ;-)
We don't want to go to Paris, the Loire or auvergne as we've been there before. Ideally would love some sun...?

Boggler Fri 17-May-13 22:35:44

I really think you should get dome sites booked - now! It's bloody busy in France in August and when we've been with our caravan there's not been a spare pitch to be seen.

What you have to consider in France is that some sites have very small pitches we found this to be the case on sites within walking distance to the beach. The further inland you go the more space you get. We had a bit of a squeeze getting our caravan and an awning on a few pitches. I think that the French generally have smaller caravans and don't use awnings so they can manage on smaller pitches.

Have a look at the Les Castels sites they are all good quality and the pitches are generous although they aren't cheap.

millimat Sun 19-May-13 07:36:13

I think we've been really spoilt with our sites in the past and that's why we're struggling. Just need to narrow it down to an area first!

AllOverIt Sun 19-May-13 08:46:18

We go to Camping Bel in the Vendee region. Gorgeous!

millimat Sun 19-May-13 09:27:36

Alloverit, is it not too busy in the vendee in summer?

AllOverIt Sun 19-May-13 12:34:12

We go to Bel every year, and there are always a few pitches for people who just rock up.

AllOverIt Sun 19-May-13 12:36:14

Pressed send too early.

The beach is 5 mins walk away, there is a large supermarket 5 mins in the other direction with a pharmacy and cashpoint. Smallish pool, but never busy and nice and safe. I love it. The kids are 6 and 4

AllOverIt Sun 19-May-13 12:37:17

There are big pitches free too. Perfect for caravan smile

millimat Sun 19-May-13 13:34:57

But is the region generally heaving with Brits? That's what I have heard?

thonah Sun 19-May-13 22:20:47

We're the same - can't decide where to go this year. Our children are 9&5 too and now they're a bit older we think we might make it a bit further than the Loire but we don't know where. We never book sites and have never had any trouble finding a space, although we don't go to the coast as we're not massively keen on the beach! We just need to decide which way to go when we leave Zeebrugge!

AllOverIt Sun 19-May-13 23:18:10

A mixture of Brits, French, Dutch and German, I'd say.

Tessielu Sun 19-May-13 23:56:05

We went to the Dordogne region last year and are going back again. We will be staying at a few sites but this one looks the best, it is on its own island!
http://campingdesiles.com/accueil.php

millimat Mon 20-May-13 20:53:26

Tessielu, that campsite looks perfect for us! I've always liked the look of the Flowers sites but never stayed at one. Its probably too close to Clermont-Ferrand though where we went last year.
Thonah, I know what you mean - how do we decide?!!

DewDr0p Tue 21-May-13 07:47:08

Check out the Ile de Re for cycling. It's very pretty although I think it can get v busy in August. There's a gorgeous site that canvas and eurocamp use set among pine trees called Interlude.

3rdnparty Tue 21-May-13 14:52:45

We are heading to he Jura for a change...no idea how busy or anything though! Here
Www.chalain.com

holmessweetholmes Tue 21-May-13 16:25:42

I second the Vendée or the Île de Ré. They are both fab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now