Talk

Advanced search

Ok...we've bought the tent...what else do we need??

(10 Posts)
LadyTophamHatt Mon 22-May-06 16:14:50

Seriously...

I know there will be a ton of other stuff we need so if all you seasoned campers could compile a list for us it would be FAB!

Sleeping bags
Blow up bed/ camp bed (which are better BTW)
Cooker
??
??
??
??
??

MrsBadger Mon 22-May-06 16:28:34

We camp a bit rough-and-ready, so this may not be the Ultimate List:

most of this you can just take the second-best stuff from the kitchen:
cooking pans
kettle for a gas stove (vital, water takes ages to boil in pan)
utensils (spatulas, knife, wooden spoons etc)
chopping boards
unbreakable crockery
cutlery you don't mind losing
coolbag or box and freezy blocks
washing up bowl
at least 1 teatowel per day - they always get lost, wet, and/or filthy
torches (head torches v good)
lantern for tent (battery NOT gas)
waterproofs
clothes inc swimwear lots of socks, warm pyjamas and spare jumpers for wearing in bed
towels you don't mind getting muddy (second best again)
wellies or something else that's really waterproof.
chairs & table (Woolworths currently 2 for £10 adequately comfy folding ones)
basic foods from storecupboard at home to save buying new packets (tea coffee sugar oil salt pepper w-up liquid rice pasta jam marmite wine herbs spices)
string, elastic bungees etc
scissors, penknife with saw in case wood fire opportunity arises
matches and gas lighter that works in rain/wind
corkscrew
books to read, indoor amusments for children in case weather horrid
maps, guidebooks
plastic crates w lids for packing it all in

DH & I like a blow-up bed best (get a pump that plugs into the cigarette lighter on the car), but LOs sometimes better on camp beds.

MrsBadger Mon 22-May-06 16:35:34

oh, and
kites, frisbees, beachballs etc as your taste runs
picnic rug for lying out on
baseball hat (fetching I know) to wear under waterproof to stop rain dripping off hood into eyes
bandanna or similar to cover unwashed hair . Or wear the baseball hat.
two-in-one showergel/shampoo - several bottles as one will get lost
suncream
lip balm
huge 10l thing of mineral water you can refill to save constant dashes to tap

and name the freezy blocks in marker pen so they don't get mixed up when being refrozen in the shop's freezer

peachyClair Mon 22-May-06 16:38:11

Not much to add to that list really! We all use air beds, and extra bedding is a must, as is a good set of waterproofs. I am taking a doormat as our tent is new and I am paranoid. A single burner stove and disposable barbecue did us last year, but we have one with a griddle this. We have a lantern for each room (Lidl have good ones in this week), and spare batteries. We'll make wellie sticks (just put sticks outside tent, then as you come in pop on the wellies- they'll hang upside down so no rain can get in, and they'll be washed dry at the same time). If you choose to buy pans, skip the camp ones: asda etc do savers ones that are more than adequate- actually we choose to buy their frying pan it is so non-stick!
Oh, binbags for rubbish and to put wet things in.

mymama Tue 23-May-06 04:52:32

Wine and chocolate for the end of the day as camping with kids is bloody exhausting . We also take rope and pegs to string up for hanging wet clothes and towels up to dry out. Marshmallows to toast over the fire if you can have one.

Blandmum Tue 23-May-06 06:47:56

After a few holidays of slowly deflating blow up beds we have gone for camp beds, but they are very firm and you will also need a crash mat to help to keep you warm. Good ones are a bit of an investment....see if you can try one out first to see if you like them, not everyone does.

Bucket with a lid

Loo bag.

earlgrey Tue 23-May-06 07:02:28

Message withdrawn

Blandmum Tue 23-May-06 07:25:53

You have to have reasonable kit(not lots of it) to make camping enjoyable. You must have good bedding, nothing is worse than being cold/ not sleeping at night. Once you get that sorted the rest is great. And you should see some of the facilities that you get on a good site....would put a hotel to shame. Or you can go the other way and have the peace and tranquility of a farmer's field!

peachyClair Tue 23-May-06 11:53:18

I'd echo MB on the facilities- we've found a site for next year in Cornwall, £300 ish for ten days but has a private beach!!!! How much that would be for five in a hotel doesn't even bear thinking about.

Most important thing is a sense of humour, bank card, tent and directions to the nearest camp store- anything else can be sorted when and if.

peachyClair Tue 23-May-06 11:53:19

I'd echo MB on the facilities- we've found a site for next year in Cornwall, £300 ish for ten days but has a private beach!!!! How much that would be for five in a hotel doesn't even bear thinking about.

Most important thing is a sense of humour, bank card, tent and directions to the nearest camp store- anything else can be sorted when and if.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: