Talk

Advanced search

Off to Eurocamp in the south Vendee in 2 weeks, any recommendations or tips please for things to see and do?

(9 Posts)
FreshLeticia Thu 16-May-13 19:30:35

We have done loads of camping in the UK, but never abroad, if we go away it's usually to Greece, but neither DH nor I want the hassle that is flying again. Sooo, am driving via Portsmouth to Caen on an overnight crossing and have 250 miles to get to the camp.
Anyone have any good places to stop on the way/back and when we are there please? We are staying near St Giles Croix de Vie.

loopydoo Thu 16-May-13 20:11:45

Went there aged 13 so not sure i will be much help but I remember visiting a working windmill that was really interesting. The benches were amazing and the water parks with lots of shutes fab too.

The area itself though is kind of like the Netherlands in flatness! However, you could always pop for a visit to Ile de Re.... No cars, just bikes. I have not been but the French love it there.

loopydoo Thu 16-May-13 20:12:34

Depending on your route, you could stop over somewhere like Quimper in Brittany.

DewDr0p Thu 16-May-13 22:32:28

Ile de Re is gorgeous, we had a pleasant day out in La Rochelle too.

FreshLeticia Thu 16-May-13 23:08:34

Ooh, DD1 had an exchange in Quimper, she said it was very pretty. We were thinking of putting DD2's bike in the car, so could do Ille de Re and hire for me and DH. Is it really flat? That will be interesting as we live in very hilly west Wales.

loopydoo Fri 17-May-13 09:27:49

Yes, very flat with dykes and windmills dotted about.
However, the beaches more than make up for the different scenery.

Yes, if you're from Wales, you will notice the difference. I'm from East Midlands/east anglia so it was a bit home from home!!!

Twitterqueen Fri 17-May-13 09:32:43

It's a bit of a drive, but Puy de fou is a truly fantastic day out. It's an amazing experience to see 8 Roman Chariots racing round an amphitheatre and the Vikings ship is amazing too....

If you do nothing else, go to this park.

FreshLeticia Fri 17-May-13 18:41:33

really? Roman Chariots? DH would be ecstatic. brilliant. Thanks!

AllOverIt Sun 19-May-13 08:48:10

There's a lovely zoo in the south Vendee. Can't remember the name though.... If you Google it it'll be there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now