Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about the practicalities of camping in France

(13 Posts)
DewDr0p Wed 15-May-13 19:58:30

I'd love to go and our finances might dictate this is our only option for some much needed sunshine this summer!

BUT
Where's nice to go? Can't face the drive to the South. Would like a site with a nice swimming pool but not keen on lots of entertainment - dcs happy with a big field to play footie in - we prefer it nice and quiet.

Does the tent get unbearably hot?

How do you keep food cool? We usually take a cool box and loads of ice packs - do French campsites freeze them? Will a cool box work if the weather's hot?

Probably silly worries...

Numberlock Wed 15-May-13 20:21:26

Try the sites on camping-castels.co.uk for some great sites closer to the UK.

Lucycat Thu 16-May-13 16:41:48

Head for at least the Loire if you can as the weather tends to be more reliable and it's only one days drive from Calais.
Lots of people love Brittany but the weather can be very Cornwall (with better wine). Have a look at ukcamping for site recommendations, choose your area & then refine it. Alan Rogers do a comprehensive list too.

Tents can get warm but equally they do cool down v quickly and if it's sunny you won't be in the tent anyway - maybe take a tarp to create shade?

Lots of sites will rent you a fridge if you want to but yes they tend to freeze blocks for you if you want to - do you have ehu? many sites include the cost of electricity in with the pitch price so a Lidl / Aldi electric cool box maybe something to think about?
If you aren't sure whether a site will freeze blocks then email them and ask - in English or using the wonder that is Google translate.

hth?

Numberlock Thu 16-May-13 20:19:18

The Vendée is also usually ok weather-wise too.

Atavistic Thu 16-May-13 20:32:05

I recommend La Garangoire in the Vendee. Loads of open space, in the country, v strict on night time noise, lovely pools, and about a ten mile drive to the sea, so it's a very family ish. It's a Castels site, and the field for pitching own tents is fab.

Numberlock Thu 16-May-13 20:33:55

Oh I've been there, it's fab, happy memories!

SizzleSazz Thu 16-May-13 20:37:05

this place is lovely in brittany

SizzleSazz Thu 16-May-13 20:38:00

<500m walk to sea and fab pool/bouncy castle

SizzleSazz Thu 16-May-13 20:39:28

tent fine at night and we have a plug in fridge.

Numberlock Thu 16-May-13 21:36:46

Hope it's mainly filled with wine!

dopeysheep Fri 17-May-13 06:44:18

I would recommend the Queucha (sp?) tarp. We took one to Portugal and I was very eye rolly about it but had to take all the eye rolls back as it was super and very practical.
Lovely for lolling under.

dopeysheep Fri 17-May-13 06:52:21

The Garangoire looks lovely but they say they insist on absolute silence between 10pm and 8 am? Seems a tad unrealistic esp with little children.

AllOverIt Sun 19-May-13 08:50:01

Camping Bel is the Vendee is fab, you can rent a full size fridge from them for 5 euros a day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now