Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sorry if this has been done to death but first time camping with young DCs and any advice appreciated

(9 Posts)
backinaminute Thu 09-May-13 15:07:08

I have camped before but not with children and I any tips would be useful. Previously it's always been in a small 3 man tent and we've eaten out for evening meals or had a BBQ.

We are going for a two night trip with lots of other people but we will have ds1 2.1 and ds2 who is 5mo, in tow. We are only going for two nights this time but hopefully it will be the first trip of many.

We have a spangly new tent which I'm very excited about and a two ring cooker. Is there anything else key we should take. Also have chairs and a table.

Ds1 will sleep on an air bed (with a roll mat underneath) but I'm not quite sure what to put him in to sleep. He doesn't like been enclosed so I'm hoping that he will be ok with his duvet and a think blanket if he sleeps in a vest, pjs and a fleece and thick socks - do you think that will be ok? Will he need a sleeping bag?

I'm not too worried about the baby. He will be in a pop up travel cot with a thick blanket underneath and I can layer him in blankets.

I imagine that we will all end up on our air bed anyway grin

I just wondered if anyone has any pearls of wisdom about camping with toddlers/babies to make life easier. Thank you grin

hillbilly Thu 09-May-13 20:23:44

That sounds fine to me. My first trip with the kids was only a few years ago when they were 5 & 3. I took duvets and airbed. Don't forget favourite teddies if they have.

rubylovescheese Thu 09-May-13 21:51:32

I bought a set of thermals for all mone from aldi they went on undrr pj's. this year I got some for me too!

backinaminute Sat 11-May-13 11:04:58

That's great, thank you grin

greenandcabbagelooking Tue 14-May-13 17:55:58

Maybe a wooly hat for DS1? If he'll keep it on, as I hear super glueing hats on is frowned upon!

I like having a blanket under me to sleep on, stops warmth escaping downwards.

Have fun!

PrincessLuna Tue 14-May-13 21:24:31

Are you taking a duvet for you? We always take king size duvet for us then if children end up in the bed there is plenty of space. Tends to be a bit of a squeeze fitting them in a double sleeping bag and we all get tangled up.

Hats also good idea when cold. I sneak them on them when they're asleep!

backinaminute Tue 14-May-13 21:42:57

Thank you, hats are on the list. I will definitely take a duvet (actually we've got a big thick blanket that will do the job) too. Good idea.

I cannot believe how much stuff we have got to take. It's only 2 nights but I think we wouldn't need much more if it was a week. Gone are the days of throwing the tent and 'camping box' and a change of clothes into the car and heading off! I've got lists for lists.

Fingers crossed it doesn't rain although the forecast doesn't look good. I'm so excited about it though. I think ds1 will love love love it. Can't say I'm too excited about the night feeds for ds2 - trying to expose a nipple from about 10 layers of clothes in the pitch dark should be entertaininggrin

MsInterpret Fri 17-May-13 18:54:17

We're off tomorrow night for our first with 2DC. (3 and 7mths) Just a quick one-nighter to break us in. These tips useful thanks!

Will let you know how it goes....also not looking forward to extracting nipple in middle of night/from many layers. Lots of button-up tops??!

Rowlers Fri 17-May-13 19:04:52

I can't say it enough - TAKE HOT WATER BOTTLES
Seriously, it makes a HUGE difference
Also, agree need something thick under you - we sleep on an old fashioned square-ended single sleeping bag opened up and spread over two single air beds zipped together.
We used these when the children were little. Great if you have the space.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now