Talk

Advanced search

are solar showers any good?

(20 Posts)
FillyjonktheSnibbet Sat 20-May-06 00:40:43

Am a bit worried about all this "roughing it" business.

Are these solar showers any good or do I basically end up with tepid water?

Ta

Skribble Sat 20-May-06 01:24:54

I think the whole idea of standing outside witha glorified poly bag hanging from a tree over my head is a bit much .

zippitippitoes Sat 20-May-06 08:08:42

on a greek yacht great..in the new Forest rubbish

Earlybird Sat 20-May-06 08:42:47

I've never bought one, but when I've used one, I've been very greatful to have water warmer than the outside temps. Obviously how warm depends on amount of sunshine, how long it's had to warm up etc. Only issue is that the bags are quite small, so you douse yourself, turn it off, and douse yourself again....with shivering in between if it's cold. But, well worth it IME.

sallystrawberry Mon 22-May-06 00:01:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FillyjonktheSnibbet Mon 22-May-06 21:42:30

not with children sally! I don't care if i don't have hot water but i'm freaked out something will happen and for some reason I'll need hot water. and many other things. we're looking at roofracks...

(its ok, I'm not the W&R of the camping threads, honestly!)

FillyjonktheSnibbet Mon 22-May-06 21:43:58

but hang on, have just realised something. they're basically a black plastic bag! With a hose! Interesting.

sallystrawberry Mon 22-May-06 22:05:29

FillyjonktheSnibbet Mon 22-May-06 22:48:14

yeah, you know i was thinking there was some plug in solar panel or something. I feel so stupid! Its a bag with a hose yeah, you're right, sally, any of those would work.

Hmmm. Now a black bucket with a bin liner over it on the roof of the car with a hosepipe attatched to a shower rose...

Well, I won't be hard to spot now, will I?

[I mean, if you want tepid water, can't you use the showers, or boil a kettle? Its not even a very big bag!]

sallystrawberry Mon 22-May-06 22:55:11

FillyjonktheSnibbet Mon 22-May-06 23:24:29

lol at the sneaking onto sites with showers...

I mean, they have them in

argos!

Thats not cool

(am off to buy up their stocks of double sleeping bags tommorrow, though)

expatinscotland Mon 22-May-06 23:33:18

i've only ever used one whilst car camping in places that were mega hot and dusty. and there they were worth their weight in gold!

FillyjonktheSnibbet Mon 22-May-06 23:40:39

"mega hot and dusty"

hmmm...not wales then?

expatinscotland Mon 22-May-06 23:44:46

No. Shelf Road, Colorado. Just outside Canon City, where Supermax the prison is.

It's a f"$kin' desert.

FillyjonktheSnibbet Tue 23-May-06 08:20:21

{grin]

FillyjonktheSnibbet Tue 23-May-06 08:21:31

thats a in a kind of deep south way, maybe

(I know all about the deep south, i've seen e.r.)

FillyjonktheSnibbet Tue 23-May-06 08:22:36

though colorado might be considered not so much deep south-hang on, thats where that woman escaped from her cleaner and nannies to then camped out in the snow while writing her book...

expatinscotland Tue 23-May-06 09:14:37

'though colorado might be considered not so much deep south'

No, it's a over a thousand miles away from there.

It's hot, but as my fearless climbing partner would always say, 'It's a dry heat.'

FillyjonktheSnibbet Tue 23-May-06 16:29:53

yes, my knowlege of american geography truly takes no prisoners.

Though I am very much more respectful of texans after watching a bunch of them (average age a taut 62) line dancing through the local community centre...my god that looked like hard work. And without breaking a sweat!

Does it also snow?

expatinscotland Tue 23-May-06 16:41:15

It snows less and less now. They got a good year this year, but that Bella Pollen is talking thru a hole in her arse.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: