Talk

Advanced search

Camping with 9 month old...

(7 Posts)
wibblyjelly Thu 02-May-13 21:39:55

We are taking ds on a camping trip in July. DH and I have been camping before, but never with a 9 month old! Does anyone have any tips they can offer? DH's parents have a caravan, so I'm not too worried about sterilising bottles etc, but what should ds sleep in? Are there camping cots we can buy? We also need to buy a new tent, so any recommendations would be great as well. We'd like to be able to stand up in it, and have the option of seperating the bedroom spaces in the future. Thanks!

adv115 Thu 02-May-13 21:57:31

We're taking ds camping in August - he'll be 11 mths. Have been taking dd since she was 16 mths so it will be interesting; hadn't even thought about bottles until you mentioned it in your post! You can buy disposable sterilising bags which have a tablet in and you add water to. Or leave everything in freshly boiled water for 10 mins. We'll probably do the latter. As for tents, we have an ENORMOUS 6 man tent from go outdoors (Zenobia) as our days of "real" camping are behind us. Having the undercover space for wet days is invaluable; its first outing was on a wet Whitsun bank holiday weekend and dd and her chum were able to play football inside! It's got the option of two bedroom spaces so dd now has her own room and I can stand up in it (although I am only 5' nothing!). We will just use regular travel cot for ds. A useful purchase though is a flexi tub like the ones you use in the garden for bathing baby in. Dd will prob still fit in for her token wash during the week! Hope you have fun & sun!

Judyandherdreamofhorses Thu 02-May-13 22:03:06

Watching with interest, as we're camping next weekend - DS is 10 months. This is just a short trip, first of the year, within distance of home in case of emergency/ disaster/ exhaustion/ general crapness.

We have DD (3.8) as well, and didn't camp last year so she doesn't remember.

Baby will have ordinary travel cot. Extra mattress, blankets underneath. Several layers and high tog grobag, with more blankets. I'll keep him in a sling until we go to bed, if he seems unlikely to settle.

No idea what our tent is, sorry, but it has two 'bedrooms'. This year, we won't use the room dividing panel so well have travel cot, toddler mattress and our bed all in a row.

Judyandherdreamofhorses Thu 02-May-13 22:07:12

Oh, I like the flexitub idea! I've just bought a couple of new ones for the garden. Will make sure I keep one back.

I don't need bottles, but an wondering how to get a comfortable place for breastfeeding.

DS managed really well at a picnic the other day, just sitting on the ground. But it was only one meal. If space allows (in the car), we might take his Ikea high chair. Or use his pushchair for eating.

wibblyjelly Thu 02-May-13 22:14:40

Thanks for the tips. Re the blankets, ds moves around so much in his cot, I'm worried he will end up tangled up in them.

Judyandherdreamofhorses Fri 03-May-13 07:30:22

I'll let you know how we get on with blankets. We'll be doing lots of clothing layers too. I'm certainly not worried about overheating in a tent in early May!

wibblyjelly Fri 03-May-13 08:13:56

Thanks Judy, hope you have a lovely time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now