Talk

Advanced search

Tents from Argos

(22 Posts)
speedymama Mon 15-May-06 19:49:19

Are the Proaction and Lichfield tents that Argos sell any good? I notice that the experience campers talk about Outwell or some other brand and I would like to know what differentiates an expensive tent (>£200) from a cheaper one? Is it the quality of the fabric, the hydrostatic head, the ease of erection, the weight etc. We are contemplating going camping next year when the twins are 3yo so any advice offered would be much appreciated. Eventually, we would like to go away for long weekends and a week during the spring and summer months.

Blandmum Mon 15-May-06 19:52:44

Proactions get a mixed press on UKcampsite. Some poeple have complained that they don't stand up the the weather very well, poles bending in the rain etc. Others say they are OK.

The HH of a tent can bump the price up. Most people say 3000 is the minimum you shoul dgo for if you are going to camp in the UK. But the Army says that 800 is waterproof! So go figure!

serenity Mon 15-May-06 19:55:04

We've got this one from Argos, and we've had no problems. Admittedly we've only used it once, but we erected it in a raging rainstorm, and also had a couple more days of scary torrential rain and wind and it was fine. I'm sure there are far better ones, but for the price it's great.

Blandmum Mon 15-May-06 19:56:15

That is a (lot* of tent for that price!

jamiesam Mon 15-May-06 19:58:13

Hi. Can't remember which make but we bought an enormous and very cheap Argos tent last year (3 bed, one large living area, sleeps 8 in theory, great for 4 of us). As it was first time we'd all been camping, I was loath to spend a lot of money on a great tent and then find that camping with two kids was hell. Well we all loved it (had been before a lot, just me and dh, and twice when ds1 was little)

It stood up reasonably well to North Yorks downpour - the material was fine but some of the seams leaked a bit. Dh bought some sealant stuff to put on the seams and that hopefully has solved the problem (it never rained quite as badly as on the first night!)

jamiesam Mon 15-May-06 20:00:39

this one

serenity Mon 15-May-06 20:01:55

I will admit that when it was really wet, it dripped in the inner bit if you touched the wall, but it's big and tall enough that touching the wall could be easily avoided. It's is big, but it means we all fit in the living bit easily, and can have the table in there to eat in the rain. DSs have their own 'room', we share with DD and we have an insect/slug free storage room

speedymama Mon 15-May-06 20:07:19

Jamiesam, that is the one we are considering buying next year.

Martianbishop, the fact that you, a season and expert camper, think that Serenity's tent is a lot for the price, means that we will consider that one too.

Thanks ladies!

rbj949703 Mon 15-May-06 20:09:12

We had this one from Argos a couple of years ago. We sent it back, when we had storms everything in the tent got wet. We spent an absolute fortune on tumble dryers that week.

Blandmum Mon 15-May-06 20:12:03

rbj, that is the same style as the one we have, but ours is a different make and is fine.

As I say they have a mixed reputation.

speedymama Mon 15-May-06 20:16:32

OK, for a budget of £250-300, what tent would one recommend (we don't want a frame tent if that helps).

Blandmum Mon 15-May-06 20:21:06

an outwell indiana 8

the newer version of what i have. great reputation. loads of roon. don't quite like the bedroon layout but has a smashing tent tidy and porch are that makes up for that problem.

dead easy to put up. about 250

LucyCampCat Mon 15-May-06 20:21:42

don't forget the Outwell doormat

LucyCampCat Mon 15-May-06 20:27:37

What about the Campus Nevada from here? seems a good price.

Campus and Khyam are the same tents and you'd pay a lot more for a Khyam than this! IIRC.

LucyCampCat Mon 15-May-06 20:31:04

Then again, if you go to the Outwell website here you get a 360 degree tour of one!

KBear Mon 15-May-06 21:29:59

I bought the ProAction Nevada 5 from Argos last year (in the sale for 80 quid). It withstood two massive thunderstorms and torrential rain, no leaks at all. We nearly ran for the car the storm was so bad but we braved it out and our tent didn't let us down!!

Easy to put up (after the initial row you have to have but fine once you know what you're doing and your DH finally listens to you!)

PeachyClair Tue 16-May-06 09:56:31

Hi Speedy

We bought a proaction tunnel tundra from Argos last year. It had a HH of 2000, and was absolutely fine. it's going on Ebay today but only coz we have a bigger one now. personally, I would say twas a very good tent for the money it cost.

HTH

speedymama Tue 16-May-06 10:19:09

The tents from Argos do seem to be great value for money, particuarly the 8 berth tents we are considering. Ideally, we do not want to spend too much if we don't need to and seeing as there is a high percentage of positive feedback on the Proaction tents,we will definitely consider them.

Oh decisions, decisions!

PeachyClair Tue 16-May-06 10:23:20

Well you can always biy opurs if you want?

jamiesam Tue 16-May-06 13:51:56

top tip - if you're thinking of buying a tent next year, buy it at the end of this summer instead - we bought our cheepie argos tent beg/middle of last august, but most places had started their sales by then...

whimsy Sun 21-May-06 09:12:40

PeachyClair are you still selling it? Will try and look on ebay for it although it may have already gone.

bresha Mon 22-May-06 09:57:43

we have the Pro Action 4 Person 2 Room Tent. £69.99 from argos. its been realy good for us. we didnt find it 2 hard to put up, but them we arnt hard core campers we only go whn we know its going to be nice weather

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: