Talk

Advanced search

would you buy a caravan if you could afford one?

(49 Posts)
Blandmum Mon 15-May-06 17:01:45

I used to think that I would, but a. we never had the cash and b dh wouldn't tow it, and I was too much of a wuss.

Now I have been in the tent a few times I'm not sure it would be worth the extra hassle.

If you had the spare dosh would you buy a tin tent?

Socci Mon 15-May-06 17:03:36

Message withdrawn

CountessDracula Mon 15-May-06 17:04:00

No I would rather disembowel myself

Blu Mon 15-May-06 17:04:33

No. Storage. Everyone behind you on the road hating you. Need to buy a bigger-engined-gas-guzzling car. Less atmosphere - just cramped.

The only temptation would be the ease of leaving it all packed and ready to go.

I'd rather have a funky vw camper van - which still has some of the problems above!

beckybrastraps Mon 15-May-06 17:04:36

Yes.

My friend's has a loo, a shower and heating!

They can go off when camping is just a distant dream for us!

iota Mon 15-May-06 17:05:10

I wouldn't buy one because of all the towing hassle, but have lots of happy childhood memories of staying in my aunties caravan.

Blandmum Mon 15-May-06 17:05:27

Socci, To be fair to me, I did post this on the camping topic

I was sort of posting to the campers out there.....but all views welcomed as ever on MN

shazronnie Mon 15-May-06 17:06:04

no, never, would spend the money on shoes

blueteddy Mon 15-May-06 17:07:00

Message withdrawn

CountessDracula Mon 15-May-06 17:08:04

I would have a combie though too

Surfermum Mon 15-May-06 17:09:02

Will I be kicked out of the camping clique already if I say yes? Dh hates them almost as much as Jeremy Clarkson, so I don't think it's going to happen, but I'd like to be able to go camping (if you can call it that in a caravan) in the Easter and October hols.

zippitippitoes Mon 15-May-06 17:09:11

I'd like an airstream

Blandmum Mon 15-May-06 17:09:24

I'm planning a tour round Texas in an RV. A BIIIIIIGGGGG RV, costs about $900 for a week. Great fun. Dh says he would drive one of those.

beckybrastraps Mon 15-May-06 17:10:29

There is a caravan called a "Marauder" - makes me giggle.

LucyCampCat Mon 15-May-06 17:11:57

We've got friends who have a 35ft static on Anglesey and they go most weekends, leave work at 4pm (teachers )and are there by 6.30pm with a glass of wine in hand - sometimes if we had the odd 30k I do think that sounds tempting, great rental too, £500 a week in high summer - as for becoming a shed dragger-nope.

Socci Mon 15-May-06 17:18:38

Message withdrawn

Socci Mon 15-May-06 17:18:44

Message withdrawn

Blossomhill Mon 15-May-06 17:20:30

Yes I would love one.

So nice to have a second "home" and we had one was I was a kid. It was great fun

niceglasses Mon 15-May-06 17:22:22

We've thought about a static, but god they are really expensive!!! We had lots of caravan hols when we were young (nothing else in fact) and had a fab time. I think on the whole kids love caravans........not sure I could be arsed with a tourer though - all that palaver.

SaintGeorge Mon 15-May-06 17:24:30

Lucky enough to have access to a 40ft static on a fairly regular basis. It really is great to have a 'home from home' only a couple of hours away.

Would never fancy a tourer, alough one of those big US RVs would be nice.

Blandmum Mon 15-May-06 17:24:46

We don't live close enough to anywhere I would want to go to often enough (IYSWIM) for it to be worth having a static.

My brother had one and got lots of use out of it.

We looked into getting a static in France but it was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO expensive

ja9 Mon 15-May-06 17:25:49

er, no

deffo, no

would hire a cottage / lodge anytime over a caravan

SaintGeorge Mon 15-May-06 17:27:04

Out of interest, why the no if you are happy to hire a lodge?

Big statics aren't that much different.

geekgrrl Mon 15-May-06 17:27:39

we had one and I hated it. (It was huge, too, but still felt like holidaying in a sardine tin)
Still better than being in a tent imho - at least we had heating and a fridge.
The towing is a hassle, and it does take time to set it up - particularly when there's just one of you and the other one is busy trying to quieten a bunch of hysterical babies/preschoolers. And it's not that cheap to stay on a nice site with a caravan.

Blandmum Mon 15-May-06 17:28:20

The 'Canvas' and 'Keycamp' type caravans are practicaly lodges, when I think about it. have their own loos and showers, separate bedrooms, proper kitchens etc

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: