Talk

Advanced search

Where are you going to during whit week?

(28 Posts)
HenniPenni Mon 15-May-06 12:23:01

Off for our very first camping trip tp Willow holt in Lincs.

Nemo1977 Mon 15-May-06 12:33:13

very first camping trip to shell island in wales...sure there is still lots I need to get at the moment with DDs sleeping bag being top of the list.

ellenrose Mon 15-May-06 12:54:43

Glenmore Forest Park in Scotland - first trip out with our larger tent so can't wait to see how that goes. Having to source spare wheels for our trailer at the moment - nighmare

PeachyClair Mon 15-May-06 16:16:41

Hollands Wood in the New Forest. took loads of hassle with their admin, but we have 5 nights and everyone is doing a daily countdown! I'm the only one who has been there before and kids willa dore Beaulieu (I have been bored by the place a few times too ofetn but mums of sons have to give in)

Blandmum Mon 15-May-06 17:00:15

We are off to Beddgelert for 5 nights.

Surfermum Mon 15-May-06 18:32:59

Bere Regis ..... and starting to get very excited, if a little nervous about the weather.

Yorkiegirl Mon 15-May-06 18:37:01

Message withdrawn

nutcracker Mon 15-May-06 18:37:46

Blimey will there actually be anyone on MN, seems like you are all going on hols.

seb1 Mon 15-May-06 18:41:57

We don't get Whit holidays in Scotland

cheltenhamgal Mon 15-May-06 19:03:31

I shall be working whilst dd will be at grandmas in cheshire so a week of peace and quiet

LucyCampCat Mon 15-May-06 19:07:52

Criccieth for the week.

Milliways Mon 15-May-06 20:44:31

Bracelands, Forest of Dean

moondog Mon 15-May-06 20:52:34

I will be having a romantic rendezvous (and night away sans kids) here

You can all drop by for a drink seeing as most of you will be in this neck of the woods.
Martian,hang about,more top tips on holidaying in Wales coming up......

moondog Mon 15-May-06 21:03:03

Right Martian, re the steam train in Caernarfon, here is the website.

I told you that trains go as far as Rhyd Ddu,a couple of miles outside of Beddgelert (and foot of Snowdon)
I suggest you drive to Rhyd Ddu,park the car and get the train to Caernarfon,taking the train back to Rhyd Ddu a few hurs later.
The train also has a bike carrying facility,and you can hire bikes from a place near your campsite or from a place on the quay on Caernarfon (also tagalongs and baby cart thingies).
This is great too,because there is a fabulous cycle track which runs parallel to the train track so you could engineer some train/bike combo.

The best drive in the whole of North Wales is from Penygroes to Rhyd Ddu through Drws y Coed. You must do it,hardly anyone knows about it.

If you are doing a loose circle as I suggested before (eg Beddgelert,Cricieth,Porthmadog,Caernarfon,Beddgelert) then break off at pen y Groes and go down Dyffryn Nantlle (Nantlee valley) through Tal y Sarn (not so pretty but don't panic,it gets better)on to Nantlle,Dwrs y Coed and Rhyd Ddu then Beddgelert.
It is one of my favourite places in the whole world.Look out for the little chapel in Drws y Coed,then on the other side of the road,keep your eyes peeled for a huge boulder.
There is a sign on it (Welsh only) explaining that it rolled down the mountain and crushed the original chapel which was built on that sight.

Blandmum Mon 15-May-06 21:03:31

I say, you don't fancy having my two for a night so that we could do the same thing, would you ?

moondog Mon 15-May-06 21:05:36

Can't bloody wait.
We will go right off,no doubt!!!

KBear Mon 15-May-06 21:06:40

Glencoe - in a posh caravan though not camping!

Blandmum Mon 15-May-06 21:08:50

That you for telling me about the sign in Welsh BTW. I'll blag it and make out I can read it. Dh will be none the wiser

Great tips BTW. I'm so looking forward to the 5 days.

LucyCampCat Tue 16-May-06 10:29:05

Thanks for those suggestions moondog, we'll give the tour a go, but we're starting from Criccieth, which way round is best? to Beddgelert or Porthmadog first?

moondog Tue 16-May-06 17:41:15

Luce,I'd head on to Porthmadog then Pwllheli then Nefyn (stopping at church in Pistyll and language centre in Llithfaen then head onto Caernarfon,veering off at Pen Y Groes,down Dyffryn Nantlle onto Rhyd Ddu and then Bedgelert then back to Cricieth. Long drive (couple of hours??) but takes in all the sites.

MABS Tue 16-May-06 18:24:59

Dubai

LucyCampCat Tue 16-May-06 18:32:17

thanks moondog!

guess you won't need your 3 season sleeping bag camping in Dubai mabs

DumbledoresGirl Tue 16-May-06 18:43:36

The Lake District.

Orinoco Fri 19-May-06 22:09:31

Message withdrawn

sallystrawberry Mon 22-May-06 00:05:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: