Talk

Advanced search

Camping Holiday in Scotland, Recommendations please for places to visit!

(11 Posts)
Wisp Mon 15-May-06 10:58:01

We are going on our first camping holiday (since kids)next month. I want to fill it with lots of fun things for the kids, ages nearly 5, 2 and 11 months.
We are staying at Loch Lomond for 4 nights, then moving north and staying at Glencoe for another 4 nights. I have booked a ferry for a day trip to the Isle of Skye, but nothing else!
Would def love to visit Edinburgh for a day, and Ben Nevis...any ideas ? Please !
Thanks!

Skribble Mon 15-May-06 23:25:27

Stirling Castle is worth a visit and Stirling has quite good shopping although mostly chain stores.

What about Secret Safari , never been but it looked interesting .
NTS Glencoe visitor centre
Hire a speedboat or a rowingboat on Loch Lomond

Skribble Mon 15-May-06 23:28:35

Depends on the kind of things you and the kids like to do, soft play or forest walks? IYKWIM

If you need a night to dry out Loch Lomond Youth Hostel is nice. There is one at Glencoe too if you are a woose now .

Wisp Tue 16-May-06 08:31:01

Thank you skribble, some of those look excellent!! We love walking, ds1 wants to climb a mountain- but I think that might be pushing it a little !

Skribble Tue 16-May-06 14:43:39

I'm sure you could find a suitable mountain for him, I was up Ben Lomond at a farily young age, saying that mum didn't have a toddler and a baby to get up there too.

There are accessible areas with tracks that will take you fairly high up and foresty commision areas have roads/ tracks that are fine for off road type prams and mountain bikes.

tamum Tue 16-May-06 14:48:17

If you come to Edinburgh you can climb Arthur's Seat- that should count as a bit of a mountain, and you can drive part of the way up. Fabulous (if not very rural) views!

Skribble Tue 16-May-06 23:11:29

Agree arthurs seat is good for a ramble, we always did this on new years day.

Skribble Tue 16-May-06 23:14:37

Agree Arthurs Seat is good for a ramble, we always did this on new years day. Panorama

Gillian76 Tue 16-May-06 23:19:29

If you're at Loch Lomond, there is a hill which might suffice as a "mountain" at Gartocharn on the A811. Locally called the Dumpling!

Gillian76 Tue 16-May-06 23:21:30

Duncryne is its real name!

Wisp Thu 18-May-06 14:33:42

Thank you !
Arthurs seat looks beautiful !
I adore scotland, and lived up in Ullapool, in Wester Ross for a brief time, and fell in love with the highlands.
I'm going to try my best to persuade Dh to move up there on the holiday !
Ive printed off all the recommendations, Thank you !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: