camping at Easter are we mad!?!(57 Posts)
Just beginning to wonder whether we are mad! We have planned to go camping over Easter near Scarborough, my husband, me - 6months pregnant and our son who is 2. The only thing i am worried about is the weather it is still so cold at night! Are we all going to freeze, is anyone else camping over Easter?
Hope we get a good summer CampSiteOwner. We could certainly do with it.
I'd like to give our campsite credit: we got a free upgrade to hard standing (they didn't want our van on the field any more than we wanted it sunk in the mud). I was impressed by the hard core campers though: the water in the tank outside the van was freezing overnight even if the valley we were in was nice and sheltered.
We have a small holiday park and have to say that this Easter break has been the coldest and most challenging I can remember in 25 years..!
We recognised very early on that the weather was going to be just too cold for 'family camping' and contacted all our tent bookings to let them know our thoughts. Nearly all seemed to welcome the chance to rebook at another time this year. In the small number of cases where this was not possible refunds have been made less an admin fee.
Beacause we are open year round the cold (but glorious!) weather has just been an extension of our winter trading (inside water taps, heated services etc) and has resulted in more touring caravans and camping Pod bookings and less tents (yes some did still come!)
Before making a booking check the cancellation policy. Check your chosen site is a member of the BHHPA as if anything goes wrong they have a clear code which member parks are obliged to follow.
The weather is starting to warm now and last nights frost looks like it may be the last..!
I wonder what sort of summer we will be getting?
Yes, we took ample photos
It's just a shame that if we hadn't had gone, we would have been none the wiser and they would have just kept all the money!
Makes me think how many other people had booked and simply not turned up.
Good job you were able to go in person. They could hardly brazen it out to your face. Nice one, foreversunny.
So the camping field WAS uncampable! Suppose you had turned up all eager with your hot water bottles and thermal sleeping bags!
They would have given you a refund, in that case.
How very dodgy.
Full, indeed! Did you take pictures of the flood and mud?
God yes Quenelle with out a shadow of a doubt. The tent field was actually half under water, the other half was thick, soggy mud (remember that particularly wet Glastonbury festival, well, like that!).
All well that ends well or whatever they say!
Really pleased they have agreed to move your dates, ForeverSunny - I was looking at the ice on our pind and worried about you!
Cheeky bastards. 'Fully booked' indeed!
Anyway, at least you can look forward to your holiday, if summer ever arrives.
Glad you got satisfaction in the end forever. What a shame it was so much hassle though. I would think twice about booking there again.
Do you think they were saying they were fully booked so they didn't have to say they were closed due to the weather?
Sorry for not coming back to update
Well, have finally won my battle and took it as high as I could (which involved actually driving to the site itself and seeing the manager face to face)......but I'm pleased to report that they agreed to move the dates for us
Am annoyed that we had to fight so hard but pleased that it's been moved and we can still enjoy a family holiday.
Blu - I did what you suggested and called anonymously to "book" and I was told they were fully booked all Easter. When we got to the site, there were only two caravans there. TWO! Fully booked my arse
We went down to Glastonbury, quite a few hardy types in tents and they all seemed to be having a good time. Weather was much better there, and we were shocked to get home and see the same snow lying on the ground here as when we left.
We were in the van, so toasty warm but honestly I would not have liked to sleep out, too old!.
We took the camper to Chester - very nice sunshine during the day and dry but twas a bit nippy at night, especially Saturday. Iced up on inside Sunday morning. lots of people under canvas too.
Apart from the obligatory AA call out on Sunday night jolly good weekend in all.
We were in wrapped and it was lovely and sunny in the daytime but we were glad of being in the heated van overnight.
It was lovely. The weather was much better than expected and it is a lovely area. The only downside was that the drive was very uncomfortable for me.
Yes, I have been wondering how the easter Campers were getting on.
No rain, but it did snow overnight where I was. Brrrrr.
Forever, how have you got on? We need updates!!
cheating caravanning in our tourer at Haven Pwllheli from Friday to Monday. Not to fussed about the cold as we have heating, electric, etc, and there are plenty of activities and things to do nearby if it's really cold and wet, but DH is a bit worried about towing in this weather, and whether the roads will be passable.
Good luck to everyone that is braving it!
Yes, we are, unless the meet is cancelled. My main worries are getting there (it is fairly hilly at that end and could be dicey) and using a bigger tent than usual because of my pregnancy - a cycle camping tent is nice and warm with 2 people in it, but less so a bigger one. (It's still pretty small, just bigger than normal for us). We missed out on our March trip due to my work and my Husband's chest infection, so I'm looking forward to it .
We do have a bail out option of going to my in-laws, but hopefully we won't need to use it.
That is awful Foreversunny, it really is heart braking when the holiday you planned and saved for is taken away from you. If they are a large company with a head office as previous poster said I would take it as high up as possible and keep pestering them relentlessly, also seek advice from Citizens Advice Bureau who can be really excellent in such cases and advocate on your behalf - often a letter from them really shows people you mean business and aren't just going to go away.
I spoke with our campsite today who although wouldn't agree to a refund which I understand, they need to make money as well, they have changed our dates for us.
I agree with previous posts that often naming and shaming on mumsnet, particularly if the thread has many followers and posts, can have some influence i'm sure i remember last year someone having problems with a featherdown farm holiday where two family groups were split up on site after specifically at time of booking saying they needed to be camped next to each other and the rumpus it caused on mumsnet helped their case.
Good luck let us know how you get on.
Is anyone out there still camping this weekend?
I'm really angry for you foreversunny. I hope you can get most of not all your money back. Sounds like they don't care about return business.
Lynnnn glad to hear you managed to get some sort of resolution. Hope you have a good time.
We have cancelled our touring caravan pitch unsure if its the same company, foreversunny, but they also wouldn't give us a refund. They have allowed us to change the booking to one of their static caravans and just pay the difference. It's not the same, but at least we will be more comfortable, still get a break away, and not have the worry of towing (for the first time ever!) in these windy, icey conditions!
sorry cross post foreversunny - will wait until you out them!
Haven't made the final call yet, we're booked with the camper van for mid-Wales but its starting to sound cold. Will ring Thursday morning and ask if they're open.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.