Talk

Advanced search

Anyone camping over half term?

(38 Posts)
pausingforbreath Thu 14-Feb-13 19:04:34

1st trip of the year for me, meeting up with two other families (friends).
Just wondered how many are venturing out for the school holiday :-)

ThreeBeeOneGee Thu 14-Feb-13 19:05:38

The February half-term? In Britain? shock

ThreeBeeOneGee Thu 14-Feb-13 19:06:49

I've been camping in the October half-term and the Easter holidays, but February half-term???????

pausingforbreath Thu 14-Feb-13 19:19:06

Yes, February half term grin
We did it last Feb half term had a ball. It was dryer than the washout that was Jubilee week in a tent.
Can't do Easter this year off to Egypt - governed trips by school hols ; so any chance....

ThreeBeeOneGee Thu 14-Feb-13 19:23:24

In that case, I take my hat off to you. My woolly hat. In fact, you keep it. You can wear it at night. smile

ChippyMinton Thu 14-Feb-13 19:30:02

DS1 camped last weekend. With the scouts in their Force 10 tents. He said it was fine hmm I'm not venturing out until May.

Heifer Thu 14-Feb-13 20:07:44

Hell no, despite just buying a new tent which I'm keen to try out (much bigger etc)

I'm finding it cold enough in my own bed!!

Will think about it at Easter grin

AThingInYourLife Thu 14-Feb-13 20:13:20

grin @ ThreeBee

Fair play, OP.

I hope you have fun smile

Nothing would entice me to camp in miserable February.

Although today was lovely and Spring-like. You might have the right idea.

pausingforbreath Fri 15-Feb-13 19:22:38

Three - have woolly hat ready, but thanks for offer.

We will all have heaters, carpets etc and are taking a firepit.

Just like summer then, but in Feb .......

Lovely sun in the sky today , hope it lasts.

pausingforbreath Fri 15-Feb-13 19:24:58

@ Chippy,
If kids can do it and say it was fine then no excuse for any of us not to?
Gotta love those orange Vangos !

Hoaz Fri 15-Feb-13 19:32:35

DS has gone with the Scouts today - he had a 4 season sleeping bag for Christmas!

Forecast here is pretty good for next week so hopefully you'll have some lovely springlike weather - and a nice quiet campsite grin

MrsWembley Fri 15-Feb-13 19:33:39

Oh my giddy aunt!

I must say, I'm a tad envy that you have the cajones to even think about it.

You'll spend the rest of your holiday looking for them though, after you're made it through the first (- degrees C) night...

NotGoodNotBad Fri 15-Feb-13 19:33:59

No way! Even Easter is a bit early for me - it's the nighttime temperature that's the killer. We had -2 at Easter and I couldn't get warm all day after that. And with the sun going down so early it's cold early - and what do you do all evening?

CuriousMama Fri 15-Feb-13 19:38:23

Eek shivering at the thought.

hillbilly Sun 17-Feb-13 20:54:28

I would go for night, but DH would most certainly not!

Matildaduck Sun 17-Feb-13 21:19:24

Mid march will be my first outing this year!! Counting the days!!!

I'm never cold though, duck and down duvets, 4 season bag, lots of blankets...bring it on.

NotGoodNotBad Sun 17-Feb-13 21:37:06

"I'm never cold though, duck and down duvets, 4 season bag, lots of blankets...bring it on. "

So do you just spend the hours of say 6pm till 8am under these duvets then? confused

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 17-Feb-13 21:39:29

We never go before the first May Bank Holiday, and that's usually pretty chilly!

Hats off to you OP!

Milliways Sun 17-Feb-13 21:51:39

I would if I had any time off - but we sleep in a van - with gas heating grin

Whojamaflip Sun 17-Feb-13 21:55:09

First weekend in March for the who household - not through choice mind you - its a pre-wedding party for my sil. Unfortunately her house is full of <ahem> older members of the family so me, dh and the dcs are camping in the garden.

They have promised me electric hook-up tho....

MrsShrek3 Sun 17-Feb-13 22:59:18

pausing, you get the bravery stupidity award grin
we did first weekend in April (never again) and had ice on tent and snow on day two. f-f-freezing. no way will I ever do February. wink

Matildaduck Mon 18-Feb-13 06:43:31

Not good...no :-) i have full ski wear...duvet jacket, sallopettes. I go climbing in the hills so campings part if the package.

No such thing as bad weather...bad clothing.

Also its a child free trip so not tied to the tent ;-) the pubs warm!

RantyMcRantpants Mon 18-Feb-13 06:51:38

We are off for a couple of days. No facilities at all, including no electric/toilets. Will be camped on a beach woohoo!! Though we do live in the UAE smile

pausingforbreath Mon 18-Feb-13 08:20:03

Well, I'm just packing up the car . Excited . Scraped the ice off the windscreen,it's going to be lovely......
Teen was caught saying he's actually excited, (& updated Facebook to say so, so it must be true) after stomping around and asking why? :-)
Back on Thursday, so only 3 nights.

Thanks for your replies- made me smile.

Meeting up with friends , they are bringing homemade cakes etc. His hubs can't get off work, I'm taking friend ( fellow vodka drinker) who's bringing homemade soup and muffins...

pausingforbreath Mon 18-Feb-13 08:21:23

Matildaduck - thank you for reminding me ; blankets , I forgot.....going into car now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: