Talk

Advanced search

DDs are camping with guides this weekend .... there is frost on the ground this morning! Any tips?

(5 Posts)
sandyballs Thu 20-Oct-11 07:09:37

Says it all really, I'm worried they are going to be so cold. I've bought thermals, 3/4 season sleeping bag. Anything else recommended?

Hats and socks keep me warm when camping in cold weather (as well as a good sleeping bag and a jumper). Your DDs probably wouldn't want to wear them though, and they'll probably cope very well and won't be as cold as you fear anyway.

Grumpla Thu 20-Oct-11 07:36:04

Thermals. Nice warm hoody over pjs. Multiple socks. If there's several of them in each tent they can huddle together for warmth!

I'd send them dressed in a good warn 'base layer' of thick socks, long johns under jeans, vest under tops, and probably not expect them to remove that layer (that's what I used to do when camping!) bit stinky after a week but for 1 / 2 nights they'll be fine grin

Make sure they have waterproof shoes / boots as cold wet feet is the hardest to warm up from IME.

PandaG Thu 20-Oct-11 07:39:41

liners for their sleeping bags. Makes a big difference.

what are they sleeping on? airbeds are really cold to sleep on, roll mat or self inflating airbed better, no large volumes of cold air. also take an extra layer to go under the sleeping bag - blanket or similar.

Lucycat Fri 21-Oct-11 16:22:24

Hat is essential - our Guides slept 6 of them in a vango venture 500 - meant for 5 - so it was like toast, if a little whiffy grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now