Talk

Advanced search

Ideas please for a camping stove that will be big enough for the 5 of us for a week

(5 Posts)
Maisiethemorningsidecat Sat 01-Oct-11 17:11:08

Thanks smile

IloveJudgeJudy Sat 01-Oct-11 18:53:29

You could use two of those portable gas cookers on the go outdoors website (can't do links, sorry) or you could use a "proper" Campinggaz stove with two burners and a grill (with an extra portable gas cooker). If you have electric hook-up (with a proper lead) you could use a multicooker plus one portable gas cooker. We are a family of 5 and that's plenty for us. If you have electric hook-up you could take a kettle, too, but don't use kettle and multicooker at the same time.

What we normally do is boil the kettle, put that water in a saucepan on a portable gas cooker, meanwhile start to cook the "meat" part of the meal on the multicooker, then add the pasta/rice/potatoes to the saucepan on the gas cooker, keep cooking the "meat" part of the meal on the multicooker. Take off the pasta bit of the meal a bit early and start cooking veggies in another saucepan on the gas cooker. HTH and isn't too complicated. Was trying to be as detailed as poss.

Maisiethemorningsidecat Sat 01-Oct-11 19:54:04

Thanks Judge (I love her too btw! grin) - will look into multicookers. Do you use cookers with legs or just sit it on a table? We've done a few weekend camps, but haven't been away for a full week yet so really not sure what to do about feeding us all for that length of time.

KarenG Sat 15-Oct-11 14:54:45

A two burner gas cooker with a grill does the five of us. But we also eat out a bit, and have a separate single burner we could take as well if we knew we were cooking something complicated. We also took a teppanaki griddle this time but only used it once so would probably leave it at home next time.

IloveJudgeJudy Mon 17-Oct-11 22:24:50

Maisie, I've just seen your post. We do use our cooker on a table. You can use it on a camp kitchen if you prefer, but you'll have more room around the cooker if you put it on a table. You don't say where you're going to be cooking nor what kind of set-up you have, but if it's inside a tent, then I'd say you need to use a camp kitchen with a windshield, but be very, very careful. My parents used to turn off the gas at the big cylinder after every use.

I usually freeze the first night's meal. I have been known to cook both the sauce and the spaghetti beforehand so that I just have to heat them up when we get there after we've set up. When we go abroad I freeze the first two nights' meals (not the pasta or rice). You could use packet mixes for chilli rather than taking all the spices from home. You could use cook-in sauces for korma, cook the rice on the other ring and grill the nans, too, or just cook them quickly in a frying pan after taking the rice off the ring early and leaving it to cook in its water for a bit.

We've got an FC so our set-up's a bit different, but my DB's got a kitchen cupboard unit from Go Outdoors (cost about £30-40) to put his coffee/tea/kettle on. I would recommend that, too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: