Talk

Advanced search

Ideas please for a camping stove that will be big enough for the 5 of us for a week

(5 Posts)
Maisiethemorningsidecat Sat 01-Oct-11 17:11:08

Thanks smile

IloveJudgeJudy Sat 01-Oct-11 18:53:29

You could use two of those portable gas cookers on the go outdoors website (can't do links, sorry) or you could use a "proper" Campinggaz stove with two burners and a grill (with an extra portable gas cooker). If you have electric hook-up (with a proper lead) you could use a multicooker plus one portable gas cooker. We are a family of 5 and that's plenty for us. If you have electric hook-up you could take a kettle, too, but don't use kettle and multicooker at the same time.

What we normally do is boil the kettle, put that water in a saucepan on a portable gas cooker, meanwhile start to cook the "meat" part of the meal on the multicooker, then add the pasta/rice/potatoes to the saucepan on the gas cooker, keep cooking the "meat" part of the meal on the multicooker. Take off the pasta bit of the meal a bit early and start cooking veggies in another saucepan on the gas cooker. HTH and isn't too complicated. Was trying to be as detailed as poss.

Maisiethemorningsidecat Sat 01-Oct-11 19:54:04

Thanks Judge (I love her too btw! grin) - will look into multicookers. Do you use cookers with legs or just sit it on a table? We've done a few weekend camps, but haven't been away for a full week yet so really not sure what to do about feeding us all for that length of time.

KarenG Sat 15-Oct-11 14:54:45

A two burner gas cooker with a grill does the five of us. But we also eat out a bit, and have a separate single burner we could take as well if we knew we were cooking something complicated. We also took a teppanaki griddle this time but only used it once so would probably leave it at home next time.

IloveJudgeJudy Mon 17-Oct-11 22:24:50

Maisie, I've just seen your post. We do use our cooker on a table. You can use it on a camp kitchen if you prefer, but you'll have more room around the cooker if you put it on a table. You don't say where you're going to be cooking nor what kind of set-up you have, but if it's inside a tent, then I'd say you need to use a camp kitchen with a windshield, but be very, very careful. My parents used to turn off the gas at the big cylinder after every use.

I usually freeze the first night's meal. I have been known to cook both the sauce and the spaghetti beforehand so that I just have to heat them up when we get there after we've set up. When we go abroad I freeze the first two nights' meals (not the pasta or rice). You could use packet mixes for chilli rather than taking all the spices from home. You could use cook-in sauces for korma, cook the rice on the other ring and grill the nans, too, or just cook them quickly in a frying pan after taking the rice off the ring early and leaving it to cook in its water for a bit.

We've got an FC so our set-up's a bit different, but my DB's got a kitchen cupboard unit from Go Outdoors (cost about £30-40) to put his coffee/tea/kettle on. I would recommend that, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now