Talk

Advanced search

Scouting - tents

(13 Posts)
Waswondering Fri 23-Sep-11 21:37:40

So. Wibble. Have just left my pfb at his first cub camp. Was astounded at the tents - I assumed they would have modern tents with a HH, or SIG, or - heaven forfend, zips! But no. The cubs were shown to very utilitarian tents which were green canvas with 4 poles - 3 mid ones and a roof - then pegs out along the side. No inners. Just a flat groundsheet. It was terribly Blyton-esque.

Is this standard or is our scout group hardy?

Can imagine the wind whistling through at night.

(He will be ok, won't he????? To be fair, he didn't look back but shot off.)

pinkhebe Fri 23-Sep-11 21:41:42

the tents our group use are 4 person modern tents (sorry not really a camper so I don't know the technical terms!)

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 23-Sep-11 21:43:40

Our scout group use Outwell tents with SIG's.

He will be ok, and have the time of his life but your scout group must be skint very hardy!

AtAmber Fri 23-Sep-11 21:47:02

I have just posted on the other scouting thread. Ds has gone to scout camp tonight. They are building their own shelters out of branches and things. So your ds is lucky to have a tent! But when they do have tents they sound like what you have described.

Waswondering Fri 23-Sep-11 21:50:38

There's another thread?! Sorry, didn't see that one.

IWIWMO - I wondered about that .... a friend's ds is in the same group and in the playground the other day said "oh you should see the tents, like something from the '50s" and I thought he was exaggerating!

He wasn't phased by it like I was, and did stop what he was doing to say goodbye. When prompted!! smile

weblette Fri 23-Sep-11 21:51:08

The 'old-fashioned' tents are brill, they don't blow away, they'll last through a deluge. Modern ones are quicker to put up but nowhere near as durable and practical. Anyway, he's not there to be comfortable or sleep, is he? gringringrin

Waswondering Fri 23-Sep-11 21:54:28

grin Weblette ... he said to me the other day, very seriously, "we might not get to sleep before, oh, 10 o'clock at night, mum!" and wondered why I laughed.

It's this tent

tassisssss Sat 24-Sep-11 09:38:50

He will be having a blast. THinking of you and hope you're having a fun weekend too! x

Waswondering Sat 24-Sep-11 16:44:15

Hope so tass - to be fair, the weather could not be better at this time of year. So glad it's glorious for them. xx

Zippylovesgeorge Sat 24-Sep-11 20:56:40

PMSL @ the 10pm comment - its well known that first night of camp they rarely get to sleep till 3/4am - then wake up again @ 6 when one of them starts playing slug wars in their sleeping bag.

Those tents are fine - would survive the end of the world. They'll have a ground sheet and if your son is lucky he'll be in the middle of the group and be plenty warm enough.

BTW don't expect him to wash/clean his teeth/change his clothes all weekend AND they don't wear PJ's - just sleep in their day clothes.

Between my 2 they've over 100 nights of cub/scout camping experience.

DazR Sun 25-Sep-11 15:25:03

If he is susceptible to insect bites I would ensure he takes an insect repellant next time as the lack of sewn-in-groundsheet does give easy access to all those biting bugs!!

Waswondering Sun 25-Sep-11 16:20:33

Thanks DazR - don't think he's anything like as susceptible as I am! He's home, v tired looking but also full of happy chat about it smile.

Tcanny Sun 25-Sep-11 16:35:50

Dont worry about anything. I have spent plenty of time in those big ole canvass tents. The are robust and last well, and once you get a group in them they are warm enough. Tbh id rather spend time in an old patrol tent than one of the lightweight modern ones.

Hope your lad has a great camp

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now