Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone use a kettle that plugs into the cigarette lighter in the car?

(9 Posts)
SherlockHolmes Tue 06-Sep-11 19:21:06

We have an ancient one in the shed, that we thought we'd try out yesterday. It took over an hour shock to boil and almost flattened the battery. Are more modern ones any better? We've bought a campervan (Bongo grin) but I don't like the thought of naked flames inside it - but do need tea in the mornings. Can anyone enlighten me please? Thanks.

JohnnyRod Tue 06-Sep-11 21:50:50

I've got one but never used it. It says it takes 20min to boil, which given the amount of energy it takes to heat up water (shitloads) sounds about right. Yours does sound a bit knackered though.

milkybarsrus Tue 06-Sep-11 22:33:19

I bought one 3 weeks ago from tk max. It takes 20 mins to boil.we were on our way to the south of france so had stopped off for a picnic so I didn't mind the wait. Hope that helps.

SherlockHolmes Wed 07-Sep-11 11:11:29

Thanks - 20 mins sounds ok - I can plug it in as soon as I wake up, then doze for 20 mins while I'm waiting! milky can you tell me the brand name of yours if it has one? Thanks.

IloveJudgeJudy Wed 07-Sep-11 13:04:01

I saw one of these for sale yesterday and was really tempted, but I don't know where to stand it in the car. How to you boil yours? Where do you put it so that you don't get burnt or it spills? Thanks.

SherlockHolmes Wed 07-Sep-11 19:40:30

Judy don't think you should use it while the car's moving grin. I was planning on standing mine on the floor.

Jumbs Wed 07-Sep-11 22:59:16

we've got a travel kettle but have given up on it. It is much easier/quicker to stick a small camping kettle (we have MSR) and a small basic gas stove somewhere handy in the car. We have brewed up everywhere from picnic sites to the motorway services with no probs. Just move it far enough away from the car for safety!

IloveJudgeJudy Wed 07-Sep-11 23:01:48

Oh, right! <feeling stupid emoticon> I'll just use the gas stove/trangia I already have, then. I'd be worried the battery might wear out as we already use it for loads of things while we are travelling, anywa.

starfishmummy Wed 07-Sep-11 23:14:01

I was given one once. It had a sort of frame thing so you could dangle from the window. You were supposed to use it while moving or it never boiled and flattened the battery. As i didn't want my passenger to end up with a lapful of hot water if i cornered or had to slam the brakes on i never used it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now